Revision requests

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Isabelnewth

Revision requests

Post by Isabelnewth »

I got a revision request after the customer bought my article, I accepted the request, made the changes and resubmitted on the 'revision request' tab. Does the customer then usually communicate acceptance or rejection? I haven't heard anything and the original article listed in my content hasn't updated with the changes. Haven't dealt with revisions before. Cheers!
Lysis

Re: Revision requests

Post by Lysis »

I refuse revisions on marketplace articles. I don't want to bother. LOL My content is as-is and most people want revisions for free. LOL

Anyway (that's a little rant), I think you get notice IIRC that the revision is accepted. Is there money involved? It's been a while but I feel like I remember confirmation.
J. A. Young

Post by J. A. Young »

I wouldn't worry about it at this point since they already paid for it. I believe that if they require more changes, they will have to turn back the piece and you'll get another notice that it's in your revision queue. I have only ever denied one revision. I tend to do them regardless because I don't get that many, but it's just good form, especially if you're trying to secure repeat buyers. My sense is that if you refuse them, they're likely to remember your name and may not be inclined to purchase from you in future. It's multiple revisions that annoy me...revisions of their own revisions (when they change their mind again and again) that I'm forced to decline or when they deviate strongly from their original request so that it becomes a brand new request. That's when revisions get tricky, but it happens so rarely, thankfully.
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

Thanks, both. It was a private request, one of two that the customer sent following a casting call which I responded to (unusual for me). Yes, the revision was free, and I was a bit grumpy about doing it, so I suspect that the customer may not buy the other private request article now. Never mind! But I was also wondering about whether they can claim a refund if they don't like the revisions.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

My last revision request was for someone who bought a marketplace article, wanted a revision and then placed a private request and never bought it. Not sure what happened but I was holding out on the revision to see if I was getting paid on the private request. Maybe she was doing the same but meh. Never got paid for the private request so never did the revision.

One thing I like about Upwork is escrow and I set the rules for the contract, so I tell them they only get 1 revision for a flat rate article. But, there is none of this free stuff and escrow is set so I know money is there. Time is money, friend. I'm able to set 30 minutes of revision time in my cost and most people don't even ask for one. Some people give me a hard time that I bid at $100-$150 for 1 article, but if they want flat rate they have to pay more in case they do take that revision time. That's the catch-22 of flat rate prices. For some reason, people think they should pay less but no you actually pay more because I have to factor in any problems. With hourly, I charge $75 for 500 words and if you don't take the revision time, then you don't pay any more.