Customers not honoring Usage terms

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Cedar

Customers not honoring Usage terms

Post by Cedar »

I looked up CC's terms for the purchase of an article for Usage, and they say:
You may not change the content in any way: You must keep the article in its original form without adding or deleting words; you must give credit to the writer by including the writer’s byline (if provided). Think of the Usage license as a rent payment for using the article as-is one time.
My question is, does CC take any action if a customer violates this?

I have an article that sold a few times, and I found two places where it's been posted online. In both cases the title was changed and my name was not listed. One of them also added text to the article. Should I mention this to CC or is customer compliance with the terms of use not something that CC is interested in? Thanks.
constant-content
Site Admin

Re: Customers not honoring Usage terms

Post by constant-content »

When this happens please send us an email so we can reach out to the buyer and make him aware of the violation. We assure you that we are taking steps to rectify, and will file a complaint if necessary. As for new articles, this will no longer be an issue since Usage Rights is no longer an option.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Something to consider is that the customer's article gets scraped, so they aren't posting it in multiple locations. I think this is what happens more than the customer spamming the content.
Cedar

Post by Cedar »

Lysis, could you explain that again? I didn't quite understand what you said. Thanks
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

Cedar wrote:Lysis, could you explain that again? I didn't quite understand what you said. Thanks
I think it means some other, third-party comes along and steals the text of your article from the customer who bought it. So basically if you see an article posted in multiple places, it is usually not the original customer who is to blame.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Cedar wrote:Lysis, could you explain that again? I didn't quite understand what you said. Thanks
Basically, what the poster said above me. Customer posts article on their site. 10 scrapers come around and steal the content. They aren't spamming the article across multiple sites. Their content is getting scraped/stolen.
Melissaf

Post by Melissaf »

I just came across this post and checked one of mine. The copy wasn't changed but one time is was listed as written by editor and the other time it was under the name of a different writer.