No More Usage Rights on Constant Content?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

HiredGun

No More Usage Rights on Constant Content?

Post by HiredGun »

Offering a usage rights price is no longer an option when uploading an article. System glitch or new way forward? :D
Lysis

Re: No More Usage Rights on Constant Content?

Post by Lysis »

Interesting. I didn't use that option very much but sold an article several times back when I leveraged several platforms.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Lysis wrote:Interesting. I didn't use that option very much but sold an article several times back when I leveraged several platforms.
Can you clarify 'leveraged several platforms'? Do you mean in terms of promoting your content on CC?
bumpylight

Post by bumpylight »

It is to be hoped this phenomenon reflects a mere system glitch. I saw that option flickering in and out of sight while editing an article today. I haven't used it yet myself, but after seeing how some articles apparently have sold several times over, that approach might be interesting for an evergreen article meant to promote goodwill while holding the potential to make more money than possible with a single full-rights sale. If the "Usage Rights" option returns, I might try it with a few Halloween and other holiday articles.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

HiredGun wrote:
Lysis wrote:Interesting. I didn't use that option very much but sold an article several times back when I leveraged several platforms.
Can you clarify 'leveraged several platforms'? Do you mean in terms of promoting your content on CC?
I mean I had a system where I would upload the content to several places. It used to be that you could upload content to Associated Content for a "unique content" payout and then go down the list of content farms that would take previously published content including CC. So, yeah I was only making a few bucks for each upload but ultimately it was more than a full rights sale on here especially if it sold a few times here.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Lysis wrote:
HiredGun wrote:
I mean I had a system where I would upload the content to several places. It used to be that you could upload content to Associated Content for a "unique content" payout and then go down the list of content farms that would take previously published content including CC. So, yeah I was only making a few bucks for each upload but ultimately it was more than a full rights sale on here especially if it sold a few times here.
Thanks for the clarification! :)
UKWriter101

Post by UKWriter101 »

Hi everyone,

I just noticed this for the first time when I started submitting a bunch of articles this morning. I guess this is for real and not a glitch, but it would have been nice if CC had given us the heads-up about this before. For me, and I'm sure plenty of other writers here, this change is very discouraging. Around half of my sales are for usage rights, and I can't imagine all of them suddenly paying double for full-rights licenses.
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

There have been updates to the site and you may have noticed that Usage is now gone.
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

I don't think this change will affect me much, since only a small fraction of my sales were for usage, but I'd still like to hear what the logic was behind a change like this.
Gauderbock

Post by Gauderbock »

I'd be interested to hear the reasoning too. I found the usage price was a good way of making the full rights seem more reasonable - not scientific, but when I set a usage price at 70% of so of full price, the article seemed to sell better than when both prices were the same.
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

Basically for the usage rights, there is more demand for unique content that the purchaser has ultimate control over, and is not found anywhere else. But this is only for new articles going forward. Any old catalog articles should still be eligible to buy at usage rights.
evaku

Post by evaku »

Honestly, my full rights to usage sales are at a ratio of 32:1, so this change doesn't really affect me at all. I guess buyers either want my work completely or not at all, and that was the trend even before I made my usage rights cost only 10% less than my full rights. In all my time on here I think there are only two articles that have sold twice for a usage license. I'm sorry for the writers who this change might really have an impact on, though!