Twiddling my thumbs

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Isabelnewth

Re: Twiddling my thumbs

Post by Isabelnewth »

I just got a purge today, ouch, I think they are trying to get through a large backlog and it's simplest to hit the purge button, to avoid getting the same article back with tweaks done so quickly that their inbox never goes down!

At least, that's what I tell myself.

Ouch.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

lol Isabel. I know. I haven't gotten a purge in so long. Probably years. I logged in to the site and thought "wat? Where did my article go???" and went back to the email and saw the purge notice. lol
Gauderbock

Post by Gauderbock »

> purge

:shock:

You're making me nervous... I'm waiting on a very large project to go through and I'm edgy enough as it is :)
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

If it's a project in the sense of something that's been claimed by you, or a private request, I wouldn't worry too much. I think those go through more easily, and the merciless liquidations are reserved general speculative articles.

There were indeed faults with my purged article. I just wish that the standardised language could be a a little less eye-wateringly nasty. It wouldn't hurt for them to draft a rather politer standard purge notice. It would be the same but, stupidly, might feel less depressing.

NB I just looked at the rejection email again and the standard bit of it isn't that rude really, though just the word 'purge' is rather violent. Sort of suggesting the article is so disgusting it made them vomit. Would 'delete' not be enough? And I would really rather they didn't include the bit about not sounding as if English was one's first language, adding insult to injury. But time for me to move on now, I should think.....
Last edited by Isabelnewth on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

Sometimes I write articles in third person, sometimes in first, and I don't think I've ever got hit for either one.

So do you guys resubmit purged articles? The one time I got an article purged I got a bit freaked out and didn't even consider submitting it back again. It wasn't rejected for anything to do with the writing itself, but because the content wasn't useful or actionable or something like that (can't quite remember). I didn't think there was anything really wrong with it and it seemed like an editor going off-script a little, but I was too afraid of getting in trouble to submit it again. It'd be nice if I could since I have no other use for the article.
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

I think that if you fix the problem and resubmit, it should stand the same chance as anything else, but I would definitely change the title.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I'm going to look mine over again and resubmit. I've seen people on the forums complain that something was purged from the system for things like word count. They resubmitted and all was fine. It seems like just sometimes an editor is new or something and people get weird rejections. I've seen them say that they've resubmitted and everything went fine.

I've gone through really old rejections and deleted/resubmitted since they were so old. I figure there could be a chance the editor isn't around anymore, so I resubmit again.
DCOrange

Post by DCOrange »

I also got hit for using "we." It's plural first person, I guess, and I can't argue that -- but I thought it worked well in the article.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Yeah, I quit using "we" altogether. The people getting through the system with it are lucky!