Using sold articles as writing samples?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

escturtle

Using sold articles as writing samples?

Post by escturtle »

Do you ever show articles that were sold on CC, when a client asks to view some writing samples from previous work? Is there a problem with doing this?

Have no fear- I'm not talking about re-selling articles that were sold with rights (which is an obvious no-no), but just exhibiting them for view. What's the story?
HiredGun

Re: Using sold articles as writing samples?

Post by HiredGun »

escturtle wrote:Do you ever show articles that were sold on CC, when a client asks to view some writing samples from previous work? Is there a problem with doing this?

Have no fear- I'm not talking about re-selling articles that were sold with rights (which is an obvious no-no), but just exhibiting them for view. What's the story?
My understanding is that this is a definite no-no. Once they're sold, they belong to the buyer. The buyer might have put their own byline on articles you wrote; showing sold articles to a new client would break that trust/potentially damage previous buyer's reputation. But that's just my understanding. Anyone else know different? :?:
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I had someone ask me for references, and I said "uhhh I have no idea where my content went." lol

For cc, I think it's just easier to point to open articles that haven't sold, although I always tell them that my best stuff has sold and I don't keep track of where it goes.
escturtle

Post by escturtle »

yeah, I've been using that line with CC customers who ask for samples too!

But now I was wondering about showing some of my CC work to some outside clients... if I'm just showing them my text as a "writing sample", with a formal agreement that they can't use it for anything, do you think that's problematic?

Someone just asked me to show them if I've ever done a certain type of article- and I have plenty of CC work that would be perfect to show I'm qualified, but I can't figure out if I'm violating some contract with CC, by showing it to them. If there are any CC editors or staff reading this, please send your reply! :-) Thanks!
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I use CC links as references. If it hasn't been purchased, you still own copyright. Nothing wrong with using it as a writing sample to outside leads/potential customers.
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

I can't see what damage would be done by showing work privately. You aren't claiming you have legal rights to the article or anything like that, just proving your writing abilities… Which of course do exist, even if the article isn't legally yours. But maybe I'm overlooking or unaware of something…
escturtle

Post by escturtle »

Pellucidean wrote:I can't see what damage would be done by showing work privately. You aren't claiming you have legal rights to the article or anything like that, just proving your writing abilities… Which of course do exist, even if the article isn't legally yours. But maybe I'm overlooking or unaware of something…
That's the view I'm also leaning towards - but I have this niggly concern that maybe I'm just being unaware and naive! (or perhaps just way too honest, to a fault! :roll: )

thanks to all for your input!!!
dbvirago

Post by dbvirago »

If the article is published with my byline, I will use it as a reference. After all, the buyer kept my name on it. If not, then I don't refer to it at all
PaulMaplesden

Post by PaulMaplesden »

I thnk it also depends on the rights the article was purchased under. If the article is sold as full rights, that means the customer owns full copyright and can claim it as their own. Obviously, posting a public link to those articles is a no-no. If an article is sold as usage rights, I believe you retain copyright (CC, please correct me if I am wrong). From CC's explanation of rights here https://www.constant-content.com/about/ ... m-work.htm :
The Usage License allows you to use the website content one time, but you will not own the content. Other buyers may have already purchased the article for usage rights or may buy the article after you. In addition, the article writer retains rights to publish this article elsewhere. You may not change the content in any way: You must keep the article in its original form without adding or deleting words; you must give credit to the writer by including the writer’s byline (if provided). Think of the Usage license as a rent payment for using the article as-is one time.
If an article has been purchased for usage, and they have retained your byline (as CC requests), then using it as a writing sample seems to be fair play (again, CC, please correct me if I am wrong).
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

But what if you're not posting a public link to article that sold for full rights? I.e., you're just showing it privately to a potential client to try and demonstrate your skills? I have a hard time seeing what would be wrong with that.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I have no idea if it's right or wrong, but I will show them examples as long as it's not under NDA.
jak

Post by jak »

[quote="dbvirago"]If the article is published with my byline, I will use it as a reference. After all, the buyer kept my name on it. If not, then I don't refer to it at all[/quote]

That's what I do as well. I also give a link to my articles for sale here.