Rejection for using him or her - his and hers

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Rejection for using him or her - his and hers

Post by Judith »

I got what I thought to be a strange rejection for using him or her and his and hers. I was told to use them and they. Oh well, it is almost a new year!! :)
Lysis

Re: Rejection for using him or her - his and hers

Post by Lysis »

LOL The old Ed would be furious. :D

I got blasted in other places for choosing "his" in my articles and not using her sometimes or "they." All I kept thinking was Ed saying to pick a pronoun and stick with it.
Judith

Post by Judith »

Maybe they are getting antsy and want to aim towards gender neutral articles.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Apparently, it's a thing now. It's dumb and this is coming from a girl in IT who really doesn't care what pronoun someone picks. Him, her, whatever. I'm not so insecure to get offended by a pronoun. lol
Judith

Post by Judith »

Well you know what they call IT girls.... just it :)
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

I wish they would tell us when the rules suddenly change. For example, I've written numerous article where I use the word form of a number in the title (i.e, 'six')… But now the editor suddenly says I'm supposed to use '6' instead. :roll: It's hard to tell in situations like these if it's just one editor going rogue and pushing their personal standards, or if there's been a real, permanent change that all the editors are going to follow.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Pellucidean wrote:I wish they would tell us when the rules suddenly change. For example, I've written numerous article where I use the word form of a number in the title (i.e, 'six')… But now the editor suddenly says I'm supposed to use '6' instead. :roll: It's hard to tell in situations like these if it's just one editor going rogue and pushing their personal standards, or if there's been a real, permanent change that all the editors are going to follow.
Sounds like one editor's personal preference and not a Constant Content rule. Just checked Constant Content's extended writer guidelines and couldn't find anything on this. A quick search of the catalogue shows that both ways have previously been accepted (https://www.constant-content.com/area/b ... &goSearch=). This editor might be going by current web preferences for list-style articles with numbers i.e. 5 Top Ways to Frustrate a Freelance Writer :lol:
light87

Post by light87 »

HiredGun wrote:
Pellucidean wrote:I wish they would tell us when the rules suddenly change. For example, I've written numerous article where I use the word form of a number in the title (i.e, 'six')… But now the editor suddenly says I'm supposed to use '6' instead. :roll: It's hard to tell in situations like these if it's just one editor going rogue and pushing their personal standards, or if there's been a real, permanent change that all the editors are going to follow.
Sounds like one editor's personal preference and not a Constant Content rule. Just checked Constant Content's extended writer guidelines and couldn't find anything on this. A quick search of the catalogue shows that both ways have previously been accepted (https://www.constant-content.com/area/b ... &goSearch=). This editor might be going by current web preferences for list-style articles with numbers i.e. 5 Top Ways to Frustrate a Freelance Writer :lol:
I would legit read an article titled that! Someone would definitely buy that if one of us wrote it.

also I just use "you". It's more directed and personal. Idk why you guys are having 3rd person pronoun problems but i guess you must all be writing articles about babies or relationships or something lol.

oh and woot! 1st post of 2016!
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

light87 wrote:
HiredGun wrote:
I would legit read an article titled that! Someone would definitely buy that if one of us wrote it.

also I just use "you". It's more directed and personal. Idk why you guys are having 3rd person pronoun problems but i guess you must all be writing articles about babies or relationships or something lol.

oh and woot! 1st post of 2016!
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've found that writing articles targeting the freelance writer market isn't that profitable. Might have to think on it though... :lol:
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I'm having issues getting an article through that is too hard to understand (it's incoherent apparently). -_- It's pretty technical. Here we gooooo. Time to take a break from this place. lol