Question about submitting for private requests

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

escturtle

Question about submitting for private requests

Post by escturtle »

I got my first private request and I claimed it.

It is for a series of short articles, each to be submitted separately. (Although we agreed on a total price and not a fee per piece, was that wrong?)

Do I submit the same way, through the regular submission page? I submitted the first article, and I want to wait for the client to comment before I move on to do any more. But what happens now? Do the CC editors have to approve this article before the client sees it? How do they know the client's specific requests, which were communicated to me through my Inbox? And if the client later wants me to change it, how does that work?

I have searched on the CC site for clarification of the process when it comes to Private Requests, but I have found no success!

Can someone shed some light?

Thanks from a Private Request newbie!
Word Gypsy

Re: Question about submitting for private requests

Post by Word Gypsy »

Congrats on getting a private request! I hope you get lots more!

1- Yes, you submit the content through the normal submission process.
2- If the client requested anything that isn't normally allowed (different font or whatever), you should indicate that in the short summary box along with your three-line summary.
3- If the client wants changes, he should use the revision request system to ask for them.

Good luck!
WG
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

Well done!

On the submission page, use the dropdown box "not for a request" and in the list you'll find "private request". Your request title should be listed in there so you can select it, and from my experience it means that not only does your article get sent straight to the customer after editing, but your editing will be done very quickly too.

Clients don't necessarily comment on your work, so if you want to hear from them about that I think you should email and say that the first one has been submitted for editing, and you'd appreciate feedback (or the answer to a specific question of yours about it) when it gets sent to them.

I'm sure you're doing very well.

Abba
escturtle

Post by escturtle »

Thank you both so much for your help!

Now that I understand the Private Request process, I'm hoping I'll one day how to understand getting into a Writers Pool too! :-)
escturtle

Post by escturtle »

another question for you CC pros-

so I submitted my first document for the Private Req, and the client bought it and wrote back that I should continue writing the next 4 documents the same way. So I did, and I submitted them prompto.

CC approved and sent them on to the client almost instantly!

My question is- the client has not yet responded, neither by purchasing them nor with a note to me. I'm wondering, is there any protection for us writers, when it comes to Private Requests?

Does the client need to now request revisions or purchase the articles within a set time frame? I write for a few other platforms, and in all of them there is an absolute guarantee that clients must pay for private orders (after revisions are done) within a few days, or the payment to the writer is automatic.

Are writers protected similarly by CC?
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

Hi,

It's great that the client bought your first piece and wanted the others to be similar - well done!

It sounds like the client has only had a couple of days since you submitted the rest of them, so I would just wait and give them some time because they might be busy with other work. I have no idea if there is a timeframe in which clients are supposed to purchase articles, but some take a while. One of my clients takes anywhere from one to five days to purchase, and the other lets me submit regular articles anytime during the month, then buys them all at once at the end of each month.

I think CC would be on your side, so if anything went wrong they would try to help you get paid. Once I claimed a writer pool request with a big word count and a certain price per word. I wrote the article in good time and when I went to submit it, the client had reduced the word count and therefore the pay drastically. I was horrified, but CC worked it out for me so that the client stuck to his word, bought the full-length article from me and paid the full amount. CC has definitely come through for me, so I'm sure you're in good hands here too.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Abba
escturtle

Post by escturtle »

thanks!

Have you ever submitted for a private request and then the client did not purchase it, even if it was written well for the instructions? Is there such a risk?

I'd hate to have wasted my time with such a thing...
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

All my private requests have sold, so I have never worried about not getting paid. I think that because you accepted a request for the five articles and the client wrote and said to keep writing them in the same style, you should have no problem. I'd be surprised if it didn't work out. Think about it from the client's point of view. They may not be in a hurry to purchase within a couple of days, because the articles are waiting for them exclusively. When they get around to it they'll probably login to their account and buy them.

Anyway, don't lose sleep over it! Let us know it goes, though. We're on your side!! :D

Abba
escturtle

Post by escturtle »

yeah, you're 100% right! :!:
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I don't know if CC does it with all private requests, but the ones where I've worked directly with one of their PMs had credits. So, CC asks for money before they hook you up with the customer. There is still no guarantee, but most people who take the time to put some money on file are serious buyers. Nothing but taxes and death are guaranteed. :) I think I've had 2 outright rejections from private requests. One was a press release and it sucked cuz I know that won't sell ever, but the other one was general enough where it sold later.
escturtle

Post by escturtle »

I know this may be slightly neurotic- but the main reason I wanted to "close" with these requests so quickly, which is why I wrote them immediately, is because CC only pays once a month - and payday is coming up! I didn't want payment for these articles to drag over til August! Extra spending money in the summer is a good and necessary thing, esp with kids who need to be packed up with camp supplies asap! :o
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Totally understandable. Unfortunately, it's kinda up to the customer. But, my experience is that these customers are pretty quick. They are serious buyers.

My mortgage is due on the 15th, and I always wish that CC would hit my Paypal on that day. You've got another week, so I think you are OK.
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

I see what you mean. I like getting paid monthly but I'm sure you can go into your account and select fortnightly pay instead of monthly.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

doh! I missed that part.
LMasterson

Post by LMasterson »

escturtle wrote:I know this may be slightly neurotic- but the main reason I wanted to "close" with these requests so quickly, which is why I wrote them immediately, is because CC only pays once a month - and payday is coming up! I didn't want payment for these articles to drag over til August! Extra spending money in the summer is a good and necessary thing, esp with kids who need to be packed up with camp supplies asap! :o
You can change your payment frequency to semi-monthly, if you prefer. In the left-hand navigation, click 'Edit My Account'. Under your account details, there's a drop down box where you can select your payments to be paid twice a month. Save your changes and payments will be cleared after the 1st and the 15th of each month :D