Confusion about Restaurant Review public pool project

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

mountainlaurel

Confusion about Restaurant Review public pool project

Post by mountainlaurel »

Several weeks ago, I was accepted into the Restaurant Review Project, which was available via a Writer Pool Request. I logged into "Requested Content" and claimed work with no problems. Article submission was also very easy.

After several weeks of production, these reviews were suddenly moved into the Public Pool Request group. I began getting lists of multiple restaurants via email, but was never able to find any of them to claim. I tried Requested Content, but only got one page of completely unrelated projects. I tried My Projects, but got the same result. I tried every menu I could think of, but could never find them. I tried contacting the staff twice, but got a response that didn't help me (something like "If you don't see any work, other writers have already claimed it"). I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this issue, and if I'm overlooking something very obvious. I will note that aside from the Restaurant Review Project, I hadn't written much for Constant Content. It's certainly possible that I just don't know the finer points of the system.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Word Gypsy

Re: Confusion about Restaurant Review public pool project

Post by Word Gypsy »

Hi,

You aren't doing anything wrong. The content is getting grabbed up by other authors, probably as soon as it is posted, which is why you can't see it. I haven't even been able to see any of the requests from the last few batches, making me think that someone is scooping without regard to sharing. It happens a lot on this site. Hopefully, you'll get some from the next batch, if there is one.

Happy Writing!
WG
mountainlaurel

Post by mountainlaurel »

Word Gypsy, thanks so much for the feedback. Hopefully we'll all get some incoming work soon!
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

If someone is farming those out, that's some crazy work for just $7ish bucks you'll get for the article. At that point, you would think you'd have a higher cost/benefit analysis that points towards just writing it yourself.
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

The last few times articles have been uploaded, there haven't been all that many of them (definitely not the 1000 that was supposedly coming through). It could just be a few authors knowing they can easily write these reviews quickly. I imagine some people could get them done very fast, especially since they're semi-formulaic.

On a not very important side note, the purpose for these articles always had me confused. Were they actually for the front pages of the websites? Or were they 'reviews' of some sort? A lot of the restaurant's already had descriptions on their sites, so it didn't make much sense they would want a new one, especially not for so low of a price…
casualcopywriter

Post by casualcopywriter »

Pellucidean wrote: On a not very important side note, the purpose for these articles always had me confused. Were they actually for the front pages of the websites? Or were they 'reviews' of some sort? A lot of the restaurant's already had descriptions on their sites, so it didn't make much sense they would want a new one, especially not for so low of a price…
I've wondered about that, too. I had guessed maybe someone is making a food-related app with restaurant listings and needed descriptions for that, but that's just total speculation on my part. Either way, I keep hoping there might be another 1000 requests uploaded (I wouldn't mind turning out a few more), but the project looks dormant, at least for now.
dbvirago

Post by dbvirago »

Of the 9 that I did, only one had anything on their site and most didn't even have one. That is what made the articles too time consuming to do for $8. I had to piece the entire thing together from Yelp reviews and Google Street View. Throw in losing 2 the dupes problem and I bailed