Is It Worth It Any More?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

BarryDavidson

Is It Worth It Any More?

Post by BarryDavidson »

I've been a member of Constant Content for a few years now. I haven't submitted much in the last couple of years though. However, that doesn't mean I haven't submitted. It just means that more than a few get rejected for the most trivial reasons. That's what keeps me from submitting more.

For the most part my writing style has not changed, and I understand that some writers are more equal than others. Still, it feels like CC has slipped into cookie cutter mode. I have dozens of articles I'd like to submit, but probably never will.

Is it still worth it? I still make a little here and there off my articles listed for usage rights, but the potential for more is what keeps hope alive.
MKatz

Re: Is It Worth It Any More?

Post by MKatz »

My second-to-last article had some revision annotations, but darn - the editor was right, and I did get sloppy. I had worked really hard on research for the article and believe I had a very good angle, but I can admit that I made a couple of mistakes that 90 percent of U.S. readers wouldn't notice. i..e. I didn't put an accent over the e in a French name and was not 100 percent consistent with capitalizing one of those words that can go either way, etc. Yes, I knew better and got sloppy. Still, I'm happy to know my final product was good on every level - because the editor took the time to tear me a new one - actually, in a nice way.

I picked up my game for the last article, and it went through the first time. :D

Is it worth it for sales? I don't know. I haven't submitted much in 2014, but I sort of felt like things were picking up a bit near the end of the year with some old articles selling. I'd love to hear some recent success stories.
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

I guess it depends what you use the site for. I don't personally get invited to any requests, and so all of the articles I sell through here are gallery articles. Do they sell? Sometimes, but I have over 200 just sitting around waiting. I used to write articles specifically for the gallery on here, but it's not the best use of my time anymore. Instead, I only really submit unwanted client articles, and if they sell, well at least they haven't gone to waste. I'm sure for the writers who get invited to do requests, the site is worth their time - but for me it isn't so my usage has drastically dropped.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Even with the sales I've made over the years I was placed on level 4. I won't be seeing many requests except in my email. Even then they won't be visible when I click on them.

Thank for the responses. It appears that only the "new" method of writing will be tolerated. I wonder if someone has had an article rejected for an Oxford comma yet.
MKatz

Post by MKatz »

You're taking it wrong about being placed on level 4. I had written for CC before and made sales, but I hadn't submitted much in the last year. I was also pretty sad to see a 4. As soon as I submitted another couple of articles, it moved up. I think they just need something recent to go on. Of course, I don't exactly know how it works. But it would be reasonable to guess that some recent activity goes into the formula.