Requested Content page vs. requests on Account Status page?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

escturtle

Requested Content page vs. requests on Account Status page?

Post by escturtle »

Can someone explain to me why there are a few article requests that appear on the sidebar of the Account Status page, but when I enter the Requested Content page- there is nothing listed?

And if I'm a new writer, with only a level 3 access and not a member of any pools..etc..., is there anything for me to do other than keep submitting (unrequested) articles for review? I just want to make sure I'm not neglecting to check some other place where requests are listed! Thanks so much for your explanations!
ccorniuk

Re: Requested Content page vs. requests on Account Status pa

Post by ccorniuk »

I've been trying to figure this out myself. The support address hasn't answered anything for me in a few weeks. No one has replied on the forums. I can see those couple requests on the account status page, but beyond that--only private requests. I'm at a level 2, which indicates I should be seeing some. Ever since they did this change, though, it's been screwed up.
escturtle

Post by escturtle »

Thank you so much for your reply! When nobody answered my forum post, and there's still no change on my Requested Content screen, and I also sent a letter to Support- yet received no reply, AND none of my submissions have been reviewed in weeks, I was starting to think that this entire community has simply disappeared!

As I wrote, I'm new here. Is it normally like this? (no responses from anyone, long lags in review times....?)
Constant

Post by Constant »

Hey guys. There might be something funny going on with the requests shown on the dashboard - we're looking into that. The Requested Content section should be accurate, so please work from that.

Regarding what you should do as a new writer. There are no more pools per se, so you'll want to make sure you've selected as many categories, types of content, etc as you can in the Request Settings page. If you've selected a field that a customer also selects when issuing a request, and your Access Level is high enough, you'll have the opportunity to claim work.

To build up your Access Level you would want to submit articles to the catalog, or to Calls for Articles. Note that for Areas of Expertise (categories) to show up on your profile, and for them to be used in matching you to requests, you do need to have at least 5 articles accepted in that category (a little green box will show up when you do). So, you might focus on the areas that you're most interested first.
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

Okay, so the areas of expertise shows up on the Edit My Request Settings page? Or on My Profile? There are green boxes in both areas, but they seem to be of different sorts. Also, are Areas of Expertise actually based on articles accepted? Or on sales? Because the numbers listed for the various categories in Writer Request Settings seems to be based on the number of articles I've sold, not how many I've had accepted. It also seems like six is the number needed for the green box, since I have two sections at five without a green box, but the sections where I have six or higher have all been granted the green box.
ccorniuk

Post by ccorniuk »

Well, thanks for getting back to us. This "high enough level" concept is a little interesting. As I understand it, new writers start at Access Level 4. Then you work your way up (or down) toward the top of Access Level 1. So, at Access Level 2, I still won't being seeing any requests? What you're saying is the requests we see on the Account Status screen are ones we shouldn't be seeing at all. And, essentially, the only way we'll now see the requests is if we work our way to the top level? If that's the case, why have four different levels?
Constant

Post by Constant »

ccorniuk wrote:Well, thanks for getting back to us. This "high enough level" concept is a little interesting. As I understand it, new writers start at Access Level 4. Then you work your way up (or down) toward the top of Access Level 1. So, at Access Level 2, I still won't being seeing any requests? What you're saying is the requests we see on the Account Status screen are ones we shouldn't be seeing at all. And, essentially, the only way we'll now see the requests is if we work our way to the top level? If that's the case, why have four different levels?
Sorry if my above post wasn't clear, but the help files explain it in full. Basically when a new request comes in we send it out to writers who match the client's requirements, starting with the Access Level 1 writers. After a short period, we make the request available to Access Level 2, then 3. Basically there are windows that the different levels have exclusive access to claim a request.
ccorniuk

Post by ccorniuk »

Fair enough. When I first looked at the files, I didn't fully understand that, but that was probably more me trying to do too many things at once more than anything else. Essentially, the access levels are skill queues, so we're waiting in line, Tier 1 gets their pick, then tier 2, then tier 3, then 4. So, on a technical level, that makes sense. How does it work for us, as the writers, on a practical level, then? It would seem that either, as a site, we don't have many requests coming through, or there is a large number of Access Level 1 writers. And, the second explanation isn't that bad, as it gives the rest of us something to shoot for. On the other hand, all it's really doing is dangling a proverbial carrot in front of us, especially if once we get there, there's such a large pool of writers at AL 1 that it's a mad dash to get to those requests. Not knowing the stats, it might be interesting to understand how those bulk requests are getting filled as well, where someone requests say 30 or 50 articles. If one AL 1 writer claims the requests, are they then expected to fill the entire order? Or, if they can only do 5 of the articles, what about the other 25? There doesn't seem to be a way, from what I have seen of the request system, to claim just a chunk of the work--claiming is all or nothing. Previously, with requests like that, I didn't claim them, just submitted articles for them and they were accepted and purchased. I imagine others are (or least previously) simply do the same, rather than claiming an entire order they can't fulfill. Further, if I'm seeing these requests on the Account Status page, is it an error in that the requests have already be claimed and they shouldn't be showing to anyone other than the one who claimed them or is there an error in how they're filtering down, having not been claimed by AL 1, yet not being visible to AL2?
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

While interesting on one level, why do I get requests in my email but see nothing when I click the link? The request isn't even listed on the side of the Account Status page most of the time either.