Does This Happen to Anyone Else?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

cmcmahon66

Does This Happen to Anyone Else?

Post by cmcmahon66 »

I write in Google docs. Despite saving each document with Arial font and 12 point size, when I cut/paste into the CC submission window, I have to do a "select all" and change the font and font size to Arial 12 there, too, or else risk getting the article returned with a request to "use proper formatting throughout". Moreover, when I cut/paste my article into the submission window, extra spaces appear between paragraphs. I have tried deleting the spaces before I submit, and not deleting them, and both have gone through, so I'm not sure if it's not just a window appearance thing. However, this weekend I got an article returned requesting "single spaces between paragraphs throughout". I went through and made the changes and resubmitted. Returned again: "Please keep consistent format/font throughout". I looked and the spaces were back, but only some of them! I did select all and changed font and font size (again!) and then once again deleted the extra spaces. I hit the save button and the saved document--appeared to have extra spaces between paragraphs again. So I resubmitted with a note to the editor about my struggles with the submission form editor. Hopefully it goes through this time.

I"m puzzled by: 1) the changes the editing window seems to make on its own; 2) the fact that sometimes they are grounds for rejection and sometimes not; and 3) if there is something I am doing wrong or if this happens to others as well.
Abbamay

Re: Does This Happen to Anyone Else?

Post by Abbamay »

Hi,

I used to have a problem with random paragraph spacing once I'd pasted my article into the form. What I realised was that my version of Word was automatically putting in different spacing for paragraphs, not single for everything.

When my document is open, I click on the "page layout" tab at the top, then look at the paragraph section under that tab. Then I look in the spacing section where it says "before: 0 pt" or "after: 6 pt" or whatever it's set to. I set the before and the after spacing to 0. Then my document is single-spaced. If I want different spacing I can adjust it. For me, this means that the spacing is normal after I've pasted it into the CC submission box. Does that sound like it might be the same issue you've had?

Abba
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

Extra spaces seem to show up in my submitted articles all the time. I submit with what appears to be single spaces between paragraphs, but then the gap is larger if I go back and look at the article. It's never got any of my articles rejected, though. I've also noticed that if I start typing in the editing box (like when I'm adding my byline), it seems to sometimes write in a different font than the rest of the article. The submission form editor seems to be a little quirky.
KinsleyRoyale

Post by KinsleyRoyale »

I seem to always have the problem when I cut and past into the long area that my paragraph spacing is removed. I have to manually go in and re-do the spacing which is a pain. Why does this happen? It's very annoying.