Another suspension

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

LauraGinn

Re: Another suspension

Post by LauraGinn »

I've been sent a private request for a long article and due to Renee's ban, I'm very wary of going ahead with it. I've just emailed CC and asked about their banning rules and whether my account (which hasn't got a very great acceptance ratio due to wordiness) will be in danger if I submit the article. I don't want to spend ages writing a really long article if it's going to be banned outright for annoying an editor. Hopefully someone will get a response soon, as I can't be the only writer on edge. I haven't submitted any articles since Renee's ban and I'm not confident in writing for CC any more.

Any news Renee?
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

I have had no response back from Eric. Those 40 articles I did manage to write for that 50-article request, I'm probably publishing on my own site. I cant sell them to him, even if I did find a way to contact him outside the site, simply because of our signed non-compete clause.

I wouldn't STOP writing for CC if I still had access, but I would definitely edit better. A lot better. I'd set up macros to identify non-acceptable words--like it, it, this, these, them, those, adverbs, descriptives, etc. I'd write the dry-as-unflavored- uncooked-oatmeal commanding text they seem to be gunning for, and charge triple my price. Then again, I might not.

I've been building websites/blogs and filling them with high-traffic content for clients since early 2001. It's about time I stopped playing with my own domain names and made my own.

I love William Strunk's and E.B.s whites style and editing books, but do believe that too much brevity is just as bad as too much description. I do a lot of cooking and food, without salt and spice, is nutritious, but inedible, just as text, without adjectives is bland, distasteful, repetative, and sometimes makes things more awkward.

That last 5,000 word article was actually 12,000 words and I edited out all the unacceptable text to make it pass the editors. The first version read like a novel, tech dribble that was entertaining and readable. The 5,000 word version was boring 3 paragraphs in and still contained too many words off their nearly-banned word list.

(http://io9.com/10-grammar-mistakes-peop ... 1646176479) "they're reinforcing personal peeves"
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

LauraGinn wrote:I've been sent a private request for a long article and due to Renee's ban, I'm very wary of going ahead with it. I've just emailed CC and asked about their banning rules and whether my account (which hasn't got a very great acceptance ratio due to wordiness) will be in danger if I submit the article. I don't want to spend ages writing a really long article if it's going to be banned outright for annoying an editor. Hopefully someone will get a response soon, as I can't be the only writer on edge. I haven't submitted any articles since Renee's ban and I'm not confident in writing for CC any more.

Any news Renee?
I'd find a way to get in direct contact with the exact editor for written proof before proceeding. Apparently buyers are NOT in control of what they want and CC dictates what they can get too.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

Apparently the client called in on my behalf and my account was reinstated. CC does not like my style of writing, but he does. YAY. I will only post articles for his requests though. all of my other writing will go to the websites I am starting.
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

Yay I'm so happy for you Renee. Glad to hear the client had your back!
EFowler

Post by EFowler »

That's great news Renee!
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

I'm not fully back. I'm only allowed to work with this one client. CC does not like my style of writing. Anything submitted has to be submitted through a request by the client and with a support ticket to two specific people.

Therefore, Unless it is work for the client and the client alone, it will not be here.

I'm building 2 websites for myself, one which I can and have figure out a way to sell articles from. and I have two clients outside of CC who want my work now.
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

Aw that's a bit sucky. Still, I'm glad that you aren't stuck with the 40 articles you had already completed for him.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

LauraGinn wrote:Aw that's a bit sucky. Still, I'm glad that you aren't stuck with the 40 articles you had already completed for him.
I might be, his order already expired and CC filled it themselves from.. somebody else. But I am putting up a website to sell from.
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

Oh crap. Well maybe he will still buy yours too - he has got you reinstated and he knows that your work pulls in traffic. You never know.

I used to have an article store that I created through Open Cart but I never got much traffic to it. If you do go down that route and want some help, I'd be happy to.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

LauraGinn wrote:Oh crap. Well maybe he will still buy yours too - he has got you reinstated and he knows that your work pulls in traffic. You never know.

I used to have an article store that I created through Open Cart but I never got much traffic to it. If you do go down that route and want some help, I'd be happy to.

thanks, I'll keep it in mind