Do New Articles Stimulate Old Catalog Sales?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

JDWhang

Do New Articles Stimulate Old Catalog Sales?

Post by JDWhang »

I haven't written much over the past two months because my other jobs have gotten really busy. I've also noticed that my sales of older articles have plummeted. I imagine that at the very least, having your work on the front page might increase views of your catalog, but I have no idea whether or not this translates to actual sales. Do you find that you sell more old content when you're writing more new content?
LauraGinn

Re: Do New Articles Stimulate Old Catalog Sales?

Post by LauraGinn »

I think they do. At the very least, if you have a lot of articles showing up on the home page, you're getting your name noticed by the regular clients on the site. I know that when I don't submit new articles for a while, my sales can dry up. But it's hard for me to do it regularly with the long approval times at the moment - I'm scared of getting too many rejections.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Yes, I think they do too. I stopped writing here also from about April to May due to other commitments, and I had my first zero payout during that time. After about 2 weeks of coming back (of course some of that time is waiting for edits), I was back selling again. Sold some old stuff too but most of the stuff I sell is new stuff.

I think it's best to try to write a few a week, but sometimes I just have complete writer's block and can't come up with any good ideas that haven't been done to death already.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

I think it might boost the sale of old articles, depending on how old they are, what topics they are on, and whether you've already sold them for usage. Since I write primarily for private requests on CC, most of my available "old catalog articles" are truly old. A lot of them have already sold several times, so it's unusual to see them sell frequently, but they still sell every other month or so. Lately, I have been selling oldies when there's not much available in the catalog on certain topics. For example, I just sold one that I wrote in 2007 on robot vacuum cleaners. If you want to boost older articles, then you might want to write on the same topics to stimulate interest. Just keep writing something. WG