Rejected...with no errors?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

CieleEdward

Rejected...with no errors?

Post by CieleEdward »

I've only had a few articles rejected in my time here and its always for a grammatical error. The most recent rejection was because the editor just didn't like the sound of one of my paragraphs. I am totally floored right now, guys. This feels WAY too much like a DS CE rewrite. I've been away for quite a while. Is that the way things are now? I write here to escape DS and those crazy-vague rewrite requests....::sigh::
JDWhang

Re: Rejected...with no errors?

Post by JDWhang »

These types of rejections have become a lot more common the past couple of months. Guess we just have to get used to it.
contentwriter

Post by contentwriter »

I had one rejection like that. The editor/reviewer said one sentence was weak and they explained why. I don't think it was such a bad thing. The editor just wanted me to choose my words more carefully. I did and it passed no problem. Personally, I prefer that kind of rewrite request to "You forgot the semi colon here..."

I haven't written for DS in forever. They're still around, eh?
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

CieleEdward wrote:I've only had a few articles rejected in my time here and its always for a grammatical error. The most recent rejection was because the editor just didn't like the sound of one of my paragraphs. I am totally floored right now, guys. This feels WAY too much like a DS CE rewrite. I've been away for quite a while. Is that the way things are now? I write here to escape DS and those crazy-vague rewrite requests....::sigh::

lmaooooooooooooooooooo you know, I got one a few weeks ago and I thought "whoa, this sounds like a DMS edit." Then I thought I was just being paranoid. I had to laugh when you mention DMS
ChrisBlank

Post by ChrisBlank »

I have been getting those kinds of rejections lately as well. I just shrug and strip out whatever the editor didn't like and resubmit. So far that seems to have worked, but I hope I have not jinxed myself by saying so.

As for DMS, they are around, but from what I hear pickings are slim and the CEs are just as difficult as ever. I haven't written for DMS since 2012 so I am probably not the best authority on the subject.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Worst time of my life was writing for those people.

I just wish I had gotten on the rev share bandwagon a lot earlier than I did. Sure, I'd be making nothing now, but man what a wild income ride that was while it lasted.
EFowler

Post by EFowler »

Ha ha, I had one a few weeks ago, and I can't remember the exact wording, where the reason for rejection was because a sentence seemed like it could almost be a run on sentence. Now I'm pretty sure you can't have an 'almost' run on sentence, and it wasn't a run on sentence, but I re-wrote it anyway :D
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

I'm really struggling with some of these new edits. I employ an editor to help me as although I love to write, and believe I have a pretty strong grasp of grammar, my punctuation often lets me down. However, even she has never heard of some of the edits that are required and we're both forever reading help sheets that still don't help us find the problem in my work. I've even been getting accepted articles rejected this week - I'm in a whole new state of panic regarding this website :( Especially when you consider that freelance work is so quiet elsewhere.
JDWhang

Post by JDWhang »

Well at least now I know for sure that it's common and I didn't magically start to suck at writing in January.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

lol mine started in February, but I've been writing for other places mostly this month. I had about 5 full rewrites and a few others with minor changes. I feel your pain bros and sistahs.

Uploaded some new ones yesterday, because I was hoping it calmed down a bit. Guess not!

I only got one or two that I'd say were eerily like DMS edits, but I have to give it to the editors on a few of my full rewrites. I was a little wordy and redundant. But, I haven't done too much for this site this month (err, well last month now).
ScriptMaster

Post by ScriptMaster »

What are DMS and CE?
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

DMS = demand media studios. They dead.
CE = copy editor. These were elusive, mystical people who somehow were experts in all the things as well as editors.
ChrisBlank

Post by ChrisBlank »

Lysis wrote:DMS = demand media studios. They dead.
CE = copy editor. These were elusive, mystical people who somehow were experts in all the things as well as editors.
LOL at Lysis :lol:

But you do speak the truth. DMS be dead as the proverbial door nail, except they are still ambling around zombie-style. Scary. As for DMS CEs, their expertise never ceased to amaze me. Even when they were clearly wrong about a rewrite and I could PROVE they were clearly wrong, TPTB always backed them up because they were, of course, totally right. :roll:

After awhile I just stopped doing rewrites altogether. It just wasn't worth the hassle. And as much as I am struggling to scare up work these days, I am glad not to be dealing with those folks anymore.

As for the editing here, I have been (so far) spared the complete rewrites. I only write for projects here these days so I guess I would have to do a complete rewrite if I got one. But if I was writing an article for my general CC catalog and got a gut rewrite, I would just delete the article and post it somewhere else. Life is short, and all that.
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

If DMS is dead, maybe CC hired some of their former editors? Is that why I'm having so many editing problems this year? They have to be new editors--or they've been told to look closer for errors. Aargh!