URGENT - Google Profile authorship hyperlink

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

remoteriverman

URGENT - Google Profile authorship hyperlink

Post by remoteriverman »

Hi - Looking at the new writer pool requests (Credit Cards & Loans) I notice the client wants authors to put a link to their Google Plus Profile in a footer at the end of the article.
I have created a Google profile, and thought I had followed the correct procedure (provided by the client, plus I've also I've looked at a few other sites that explain how to link Google Authorship to your content), but my link doesn't work.

The direct link to my Google profile, which works just fine, is: http://plus.google.com/1176519205243400 ... erid=gplp0

My Authorship link is: <a href="https://plus.google.com/117651920524340 ... hor">Kevin Casey</a> and that one doesn't work. It says the URL is invalid.

I'm a newbie at hyperlink, and have no idea what to do from here. If I can't get my Google Authorship sorted out, I'm not going to be able to accept these jobs.

Any suggestions most welcome. I'm obviously missing something obvious here, but don't know what...

Cheers,

Kevin Casey
topquark

Re: URGENT - Google Profile authorship hyperlink

Post by topquark »

Interesting. I just copied and pasted https://plus.google.com/117651920524340 ... rel=author into my browser and it went straight to your profile page at https://plus.google.com/117651920524340015983/posts

Are you sure that you haven't made a typo when entering the URL for the link?
remoteriverman

Post by remoteriverman »

Perhaps I don't understand what a Google Authorship link is (my background is writing/publishing books & articles in print form - I know absolutely nothing about hyperlinks or HTML markup). I thought when you put an Authorship link at the end of your article in the markup form that includes <a href at the beginning and your full name toward the end of the link, it automatically creates a little thumbnail profile picture just to the left of the actual link to your Google Profile page. I've never had to use an authorship link in 20 years of writing, so I don't know how.

I have emailed the client to see if this Authorship link requirement is a 100% necessity. If not, I'll just include the normal link that works without the thumbnail photo that's supposed to go with it (when it works properly).

From what little I have read about Google Plus Authorship hyperlinks, I'm certainly not the only one having trouble getting the things to work.

Just hope the lack of a specified Authorship link doesn't prevent me from accepting work on this site...

Cheers,
Kevin Casey
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

The buyer will put your link into the blog. A lot of buyers are going that way now. (Well, not a lot, but I've run into it before)
evaku

Post by evaku »

remoteriverman wrote: My Authorship link is: <a href="https://plus.google.com/117651920524340 ... hor">Kevin Casey</a> and that one doesn't work. It says the URL is invalid.
That works just fine for me! Remember, you don't want to be copying the entire thing, starting with "<a href" and ending in </a>. You ONLY need to ensure that the https link works, and I just copied and pasted yours and it does.

The only reason it needs to be in this format is that the buyer downloads these in .txt format, which would get rid of any hyperlinks we might include, so you need to do it this way so that when it is posted as HTML, your name will lead to your google + profile.

So I think your confusion may be coming from the fact that we are not technically hyper-linking, just providing the proper code.
Last edited by evaku on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evaku

Post by evaku »

For anyone too concerned about this, this is all you have to do. At the bottom of my article I space about two lines and I simply copy and past this:

---

<a href="https://plus.google.com/+EvaKurilova?rel=author">Eva Kurilova</a> is a writer from Calgary, Alberta. When not busy writing, she loves reading and going on hikes in the nearby Rocky Mountains.

---

I have had no issues getting anything accepted so I assume this is right. Obviously you just replace that with your own info and your own link, and you should be good! :D
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

Hallo, this is interesting as I don't know how to do this stuff either...just about to try, and will probably suffer extreme stress in the process..so thanks for the advice given already and I will be back, I imagine, for more help!

In the meantime, I was wondering whether we do still have to submit in plain text for this project? I couldn't see it mentioned in the instructions though I know it has been a requirement for the customer I presume is the same one, in the past.

Anyone seen this info set out for definite? If not I may just email support and ask because I find that plain text horrible!
evaku

Post by evaku »

Isabelnewth wrote:In the meantime, I was wondering whether we do still have to submit in plain text for this project? I couldn't see it mentioned in the instructions though I know it has been a requirement for the customer I presume is the same one, in the past.

Anyone seen this info set out for definite? If not I may just email support and ask because I find that plain text horrible!

You just submit into the regular form, which will turn it into a .rtf. The buyer, however, can download in whatever format they want, and I assume these are still being downloaded in .txt, otherwise we'd be allowed to hyperlink instead of having to provide the actual code. Those are my assumptions, anyway!
Constant

Post by Constant »

You just submit into the regular form, which will turn it into a .rtf. The buyer, however, can download in whatever format they want, and I assume these are still being downloaded in .txt, otherwise we'd be allowed to hyperlink instead of having to provide the actual code. Those are my assumptions, anyway!

That's it!
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

Hi guys. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do! I set up the Google Plus page but then needed authorship status and had to link a page or something. There are scores of guides online about how to do it right but only one thing finally worked for me after wasting heaps of writing time - I asked my husband to do it for me and he did! Then my link worked properly and took me to my Google Plus page. So sorry I can't help any of you. What a nightmare!

By the way, Evaku, when I tried out your link it took me to a Google search list and it looked like some of your articles were on it, but I didn't get to your Google Plus page.

Good luck everyone. Maybe we need a writer pool forum for questions that arise when working for this buyer!

Abba May
evaku

Post by evaku »

Abbamay wrote: By the way, Evaku, when I tried out your link it took me to a Google search list and it looked like some of your articles were on it, but I didn't get to your Google Plus page.

How strange! When I copy and paste it takes me right to my profile! Maybe all I need is https://plus.google.com/+EvaKurilova/

thanks for the heads up!
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

Don't change anything because of me, Evaku! :D I have no idea about all of this.
evaku

Post by evaku »

Haha don't worry! Even if it was you and not the link, I still don't know why I stuck all those extra letters on the end, and not just my Google+ ID. It is probably better this way :D Less chance of it leading others to some strange page like it did for you :)
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

No, I think that's what they want Evaku. Your initial one looked like the sample link Eric showed us on that message, even though it didn't work for me. I really hope we don't have to go through this again! It's above my head. Have a good night. :D