What book do you recommend for better writing?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

contentwriter

What book do you recommend for better writing?

Post by contentwriter »

What reference work would be most helpful for a new CC writer? I've had about 20 articles approved and 2 sales, but I've also gotten several rejections - including 2 that I'm not allowed to resubmit. Would it help to consult the AP Stylebook or the Yahoo Style Guide? What would you recommend?
J. A. Young

Re: What book do you recommend for better writing?

Post by J. A. Young »

I actually never use them, but I'm sure some of the writers here could recommend some good ones. If I'm ever uncertain, I usually check quickly online. I think Purdue University has a decent writing center website if memory serves--I've wound up there a few times. When you look online, it seems to go quicker and you can tailor your search to your question at hand (i.e. clauses and commas). Otherwise, and this is what I used to tell my students (spent most of my career in libraries but I taught English for a stint on the side), read the best literature and you'll get all those writing mechanics by osmosis--eventually:) I'd recommend Patrick O'Brian's 21-book Master and Commander series--incredibly refined prose not to mention downright poignant and entertaining--probably best historical writing ever. Good luck!
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I don't use anything either. Word has caught me a few times we subject-verb agreement. I only know the basics, so I wouldn't understand the industry terms if I read a grammar checker. Ed used to post some really great references from Purdue.

I figure reading a grammar book would be as boring as reading a programming book and I'm a programmer. lol
contentwriter

Post by contentwriter »

Thanks. Well, as well as you two write, I don't think you'll need a book anyway. :) After the 2 rejections last night (no rewrite possible), I got another one this morning but with a rewrite request. I decided to delete the rest of the articles I had in the queue. I guess I just don't write the way CC likes.
J. A. Young

Post by J. A. Young »

Don't get discouraged. Writing is a process and the more you do it the better you will be. It really does take a lot of practice. Try to stick to subjects you enjoy; often when you like a topic, you can communicate about it more effectively than a topic you know little about. Good luck though!
contentwriter

Post by contentwriter »

Thanks, J.A. Very true. Also, the more we know about the subject, the less research that needs to be done. So you end up writing more articles per day. :)

I'm putting my word processor's proofing tools to work now! Keeping my fingers crossed that my most recent submissions get through without a problem.
SJHillman

Post by SJHillman »

I recommend reading Stephen King's "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft". It offers a mixture of insights into his history with writing as well as some style recommendations and suggestions for your self-editing process. It's aimed more at novel/novella/short story writers, but much of it is very relevant to any sort of writing. It's no style guide, but I think most writers will find something in it that will make at least a small improvement to their work.
contentwriter

Post by contentwriter »

Thanks, SJ! Well, whatever I'm doing must be working. I've gotten all my recent articles approved. Listened to advice here and kept my sentences short and simple!
weagle87

Post by weagle87 »

I second the Stephen King suggestion and suggest that you especially notice his revision process. The writing Bible is pretty much Strunk and White's Elements of Style. It's not boring. But I also agree with just Google-ing (How do you spell that?). The GrammarGirl website is particularly good.

I think a great idea is to get a friend to read your piece aloud. (This is what I tell my students.) When your friend stumbles over a sentence, you know it must be awkward. The reason you should let a friend read it is that you hear things in your mind the way you want them to sound. But others don't necessarily see things the same way that you heard them when you were writing. You should also read your own writing aloud before you submit it. And read it in different fonts. It helps you notice mistakes.
contentwriter

Post by contentwriter »

Thanks weagle87! I just looked up Elements of Style. Sounds like just the kind of book I need. I also found some others. Time to use the library! :)

But lately here I've just been using the Internet and my word processor. So far my recent articles have all been accepted. Thinking good thoughts!

I guess it's spelled "googling." :) I don't think there's a standard yet.

Thanks to everyone in this forum for the advice and encouragement!
PeterWriting

Post by PeterWriting »

Strunk and White's Elements of Style is certainly a great standard that has stood the test of time. I review it every now and then, but it can be a bit dry. Two others that I recommend that are fun and encouraging to read, yet still great resources are, "Woe is I" and "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves." You'll have to read the second one in order to understand the title. "Whose Grammar Book Is This Anyway" is another good one. :D