How do you get approved for different writing positions?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

contentwriter

How do you get approved for different writing positions?

Post by contentwriter »

I've noticed that some veteran writers are approved for copywriting, blog entries, etc. besides articles. I don't see an application for this and the manual is just for article writing (I think). Is this by invitation only? Does CC select only writers they like for those other jobs?

Also, what's the "Blog Entries" category best suited for? I have blogging and SEO articles to write but am not sure where to put them.
weagle87

Re: How do you get approved for different writing positions?

Post by weagle87 »

I'm not sure if this answers your question. However, here is my understanding regarding teams (and these other writing gigs may be for teams). To become a member of a team, you need an invitation from CC. There is not an application. An invitation comes once you have a certain number of articles submitted without any requested revisions. I'm not sure how many this is or if your "clock" is reset when an article comes back for revision. I was on a roll with about 10 good submissions, when I had to revise one. I assume I'm back to square one at this point.

Anyway, I suppose the key is to proofread and proofread and proofread.
EFowler

Post by EFowler »

I have no actual idea how it works (not inspiring confidence here, am I?!), but all I can tell you is my experience. I discovered I was in a Writers Pool, no application, no invitation, I was just suddenly in it. Once that happened I had an extra tab on my home page for Writer Pools, and you can apply for them there (but from discussions I've read on here it does seem that you can't 'apply' any more?). I've applied to some but the status still shows as 'applied', I'm not actually in them. This was only fairly recently, and if stats help I've had 31 articles accepted, 11 sold and my last 18 were accepted with no revisions needed.

Hope these vague ramblings help a tad :wink:

Emily
contentwriter

Post by contentwriter »

Thank you for your responses. I guess it doesn't matter after I got two successive rejections that I can't resubmit. Congrats on your success, Emily. That's a very impressive scorecard!
EFowler

Post by EFowler »

Thank you :D

But don't be disheartened, I didn't start off with acceptance after acceptance! I don't think that the 3 strikes rule is set in stone . . . . I've had more than 3 rejections. When I started most of my articles got rejected first time, and I was TERRIFIED that I was going to get banned any minute. Luckily I'm still here, ha ha, and all it did was make me really tighten my writing and up my game. I'm really happy it did, as before I joined this site I, of course, thought I was an awesome writer . . . . now my writing has improved soooo much.

Keep writing, proofreading, proofreading again and submitting :D

Emily
contentwriter

Post by contentwriter »

Me too. I thought I was a pretty good writer before. And then... :D

Keep up the great work!
weagle87

Post by weagle87 »

Hi contentwriter, I'm back. And I got asked to join a pool today :D :D ! So keep writing. Kinda like Dorrie said in Finding Nemo, "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming . . . "
philipanderson

Post by philipanderson »

I'm still plugging away to see if I can hit the magic number to get access to writers' pools.

I had an article rejected last week (my first for a while), which was rejected for containing first person even though the client had expressly requested this. By the time I went back to push this back to the editor, I noticed that the article had been accepted (meaning that the editor had noticed his or her mistake) but I am pretty sure the rejection will have set my counter for 'first-time approved articles' back to zero, so it's slightly frustrating if that is how they decide to invite people.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

lol I have had the opposite. Approved then rejected soon after. DOH!
remoteriverman

Post by remoteriverman »

Hi -

Unless the requirements have changed recently, you're eligible to be invited to writer pool teams once you have a minimum of 10 articles approved on CC, plus an article approval rate of at least 60%. Then a new page will pop up on your My Account page, called 'Writer Pool Settings'. Then you can start making the real money (except when it's one of those 5-cent-a-word jobs, of course).

Writer Pools are definitely worth getting into. In Nov/Dec last year, I made $325 in three days (on more than one occasion), for a writer pool client who was offering blocks of ten articles at a time, at about 8 cents a word.

Cheers,
Kevin Casey
Author of The Freelance Writer's Guide to Making Money on Constant-Content.com
http://www.amazon.com/Kevin-Casey/e/B00IKGYPCK
McCoy

Post by McCoy »

Kevin, I really appreciate all of your posts. It's great for demystifying the process.

I really want to get into writer pool work.
MKatz

Post by MKatz »

I could be wrong, but I don't think that writer's pool tab does anything. I was on a pool in December of '13, and I really enjoyed the opportunity! But I have had my tabs up and applications pending since then, and it is the end of March. I do get emails asking for specific types of experience periodically, but they aren't anything I can honestly say I'm particularly qualified for.

Every time I see one, I do get excited. But when they ask for specific experience that I lack, I get sad again.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

It just depends if they need people and likely how much you write and if they think you're reliable. It's just the basics really. It's the Internet with a bunch of flaky writers. If they can count on you and you are a regular, I'm sure you'll stand out when your area of expertise opens up. It's no different than any other job really.

Writing pools have been quiet for me but I'm only in 4 of them. I applied for another a while ago but haven't heard. But that's what Plan Bs are for and I don't mean the pill at the pharmacy.
evaku

Post by evaku »

Lysis wrote:It just depends if they need people and likely how much you write and if they think you're reliable. It's just the basics really. It's the Internet with a bunch of flaky writers. If they can count on you and you are a regular, I'm sure you'll stand out when your area of expertise opens up. It's no different than any other job really.
I think that this is exactly how the pools currently work. I don't think applications have much to do with it right now, at least not as much as writing lots and being consistent.
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

I agree. Places in writer pools seem to be offered to consistent writers when there is a need. Kevin may have the rules right, but passing those requirements doesn't guarantee a place in a writer pool. Some of us apply and then wait for months before we suddenly get an invitation. :)