How do you get approved for different writing positions?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

remoteriverman

Re: How do you get approved for different writing positions?

Post by remoteriverman »

Abbamay's right. Writer Pool opportunities are more hit and miss than Public Requests, and aren't always available. So far, this year's pickings haven't been as prolific as 'the glory days' of Nov/Dec last year, when it was all happening.

By the way (self-promotion alert!), for those who may not be having the success on CC that they would like, feel free to check out my eBook 'The Freelance Writer's Guide to Making Money on Constasnt-Content.com' (it's @ $5.99 on Amazon, and has seven 5-star reviews so far (a couple from writers on this site). Go to http://www.amazon.com/Kevin-Casey/e/B00IKGYPCK for more info. Don't worry if you don't own a Kindle: there are plenty of free Kindle apps for PCs, smart phones, iPads, etc.

Considering we're already up to April now, I was hoping there would be more writer pool action on CC in 2014, but so far, there's not much going on.

Cheers,
Kevin Casey
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

bro seriously. Quit peddling the book. You're a noob and haven't even scratched the surface. a thread and link drop is one thing, but constantly is annoying and your'e a noob yourself. If anyone wants to read a book from a non noob, they should buy celeste's book. jeez
remoteriverman

Post by remoteriverman »

Lysis –

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Lighten up, son.

Firstly, one thread and one post in another thread hardly comprises ‘constant peddling’.

Secondly, others on this site have read my book, enjoyed it, reviewed it favourably, got a lot out of it, and thanked me for producing it.

Thirdly, your obsession with the term ‘noob’ is perplexing. I have been making money from writing for over a quarter of a century. I’ve written 4 books and 1 eBook, all of which have made a profit (this is not the norm for authors, by the way). One book won a literary award, and also earned me $65,000 in its first year alone – and it retailed for $14.95. The following paid article was published last month: http://www.sidetracked.com/remote-river-man-kimberley/ and this month I have an article in WILD (outdoor adventure print magazine), and have had another major article accepted in Australian Geographic (payment $1000). I juggle a number of business clients (non-CC), one of whom is currently paying me $8000 to ghost write her eBook (at my normal rate of $80 per page).

Now admittedly, I have only been writing on CC for five months. But (seriously bro, jeez) how many thousands of years does it take to learn how to write efficiently and productively on this site? I made $1868 during my very first two months on CC (only writing about 17 hours a week) so I’d say I picked up on the nuances quickly enough. The only advantage of longevity on CC is the ability to build up a massive volume of articles. To me this advantage is a moot point, since I statistically sell over 80% of what I write for CC – and sell it almost immediately. So if your definition of a ‘noob’ is someone who has only been on this site for 5 months, I stand guilty as charged. I must, however, respectfully ask how this is relevant.

When it comes to Celeste Stewart’s book, I wholeheartedly recommend it. It’s excellent – I read it before I started on CC myself. I am impressed by her formidable previous output on CC, her writing style and her professionalism. However, you’re a little behind the times, Lysis. According to Celeste’s own website, she hardly ever writes for CC anymore; she’s moved onto bigger and better things. Check her CC profile – I think she’s got one active article on there. I do not claim (nor have I ever claimed) that my book is in any way ‘better’ than Celeste’s; I would politely suggest that it may be more up-to-date, however. It is certainly as useful, particularly for writers who are joining CC right now. If you want a blow by blow comparison, Celeste’s book is 65 pages, and costs @$9.99. Mine is 54 pages, and costs @ $5.99. Mine was published in February 2014, and hers was published quite a while back. Hers has one 5-star review, and mine has seven 5-star reviews. Both books are useful, and both books are excellent.

I have been called a number of things over the years (‘blatherskite’ and ‘impertinent ruffian’ are probably my favourites), and ‘noob’ is certainly one of the least offensive. But I have found that labelling people tends to say more about the person doing the labelling, than the recipient. When I first started prattling on this forum you seemed to be a very supportive fellow, willing to lend helpful advice when needed. Your previous post does that generous reputation a great disservice, however.

In any case, I shall refrain from posting any more immediate mentions of my book on CC, to prevent any further conniptions. Thanks to your post, I now have acquired a good 12 months of free publicity....

I rest my Casey.

Cheers,
Kevin Casey
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

Kevin, having read your book when it was free, I can vouch that it is very informative for the noob. I gave you a comment as such in Amazon. What is a noob anyway? I've been writing on CC for 4-5 years now but only have written about 50 some articles and sold maybe half that amount. I have a full time job in the corporate world so this is only extra cash now and then. I'm more a noob than you Kevin as you have a bigger track record on this site even if it is a much shorter period of time. Lysis should just temper his/her comments. This is not a place for name calling. We're all supposed to be supporting and cheering each other on here. At least that's what I thought.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Enjoy your penguin slap for the forum spam.