Are CC editors slipping?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Courtney

Are CC editors slipping?

Post by Courtney »

Or have they just changed the rules? I opened an article on the home page (the newest feature articles) and in reading the article excerpt there were two places where the author wrote "new" when it should have been "knew". There were a couple other questionable grammar things. Not to mention that it was written in the first person with "I" and "my". I thought that wasn't allowed on here. Have the rules changed and I didn't notice? :?
Celeste Stewart

Re: Are CC editors slipping?

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Anytime you see a first person account, it was likely submitted to a public or private request that specifically asked for first person stories. That may explain that part of the acceptance. I'm guessing the "new" for "knew" must have been overlooked by a tired editor, but I don't think the general standards have changed. We all still need to submit polished work despite a few errors that slipped by the review team. Unfortunately, I doubt that particular article will find a buyer in a hurry due to the high price tag and general lack of CC customers looking for this type of content (and the few obvious mistakes that should have been caught and revised).
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

Yeah, I guess even editors get tired and miss things. I'd never seen any public requests for first person accounts but I guess it's not out of the question. Maybe it was private. The price tag on it was rather high considering not many people on here are looking for articles like that and the blatant spelling errors too.
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

I think I spotted the article in question and I still can't grasp how it got accepted! Even if it was for a request, wouldn't it have undergone the same thorough inspection as any other article? I mean, missing one or two mistakes is human, but that piece has one too many errors! That's strange, especially when you are used to getting rejections on the basis of misplaced commas.

All I can think of right now is that I hope the editors won't let that happen to one of my articles. I'd much rather spend some extra time correcting my mistakes than see them published! Oh well...
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

I'm with you on that. I'd much rather have the editors catch things and let me know. I don't want articles with mistakes like that to go through. It just doesn't look good for the author or CC.
suyesh

Post by suyesh »

I just visited the home page of constant-content and have a glance at some recently published articles. On the very first article I read this sentence. "This article describes the current state of 3D printing technology, and discusses it potential impact on a wide range of industries". Isn't there a mistake in this sentence with the use of "it"? Shouldn't it that "its" be used there? I want to hear from my fellow forum members.
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

Yes, it should read "its" instead of "it". I suppose there is only so much you can expect from editors to catch, especially after having read tens of articles.

I was surprised, however, to see that almost all of this author's descriptions contain mistakes of some sort. :? I didn't go on to click on specific articles, to be fair, but as far as I know, short summaries are also read by the editors. I'm confused about that.
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

I know short summaries are read by the editors as I had one come back at me with a tiny mistake.