Rejected!

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Isabelnewth

Rejected!

Post by Isabelnewth »

I submitted my first article which was about the novelist George Eliot, and it was rejected on the basis that it was
1. an academic topic
2. an opinion piece

I wonder what the criteria are for a piece being too academic, or an op. ed. piece as I didn't think it was really either of those.
Also I couldn't see in the guidelines that there is a ban on academic subjects.
If I am not just missing something in the guidance, are there other topics/treatments that are automatically rejected without being mentioned in the guidance.
Feeling slightly crestfallen and will try to just do things that are requested for now, but can't see anything tempting.

Cheers.
KinsleyRoyale

Re: Rejected!

Post by KinsleyRoyale »

I'm not going to take the time to go back and read the guidelines but I will say that there are a few things to keep in mind:

a) write with a target audience in mind (usually purchased for online magazines, website or blog content...with the goal of the buyer being able to create customer loyalty and sales conversions) Does it fit any of those needs?

b) write in a way that a reader will obtain value from your article. Learn something...

c) this is very different from essay writing and also never should be first person.

I've had a few that were rejected because they weren't necessarily first person but they were from my point of view speaking too much in generalities, etc.

Perhaps you can take your piece to a writer's market site like Writing for Dollars http://writingfordollars.com/ and find a more appropriate niche.

Rejection hurts, oh ya. Give it time to heal, and try again.