Lack of style guidelines?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

DavidTerrence

Lack of style guidelines?

Post by DavidTerrence »

Is it just me, or are the style requirements and other guidelines for CC quite thin on the ground?

Does content have to follow a particular style, eg AP Stylebook? I've heard people refer to a word count, but is that just for requests?

I've read the few brief documents available (including those recommended on the new writers thread here http://www.constant-content.com/forum/v ... f=2&t=8351), and can't seem to find much else.

Thanks in advance, folks.
Ed

Re: Lack of style guidelines?

Post by Ed »

Hi David,

Because we have a community of writers from a wide variety of backgrounds, writers aren't expected to follow any particular style guide at this time. For example, we accept both British and American English, the inclusion or exclusion of the Oxford comma, any referencing style that meets our guidelines . . . you get the picture.

However, we do expect writers to have knowledge about writing rules and standards that transcend the scope of any one style guide. Some of the major areas of consideration are discussed here: http://www.constant-content.com/about/e ... elines.htm

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please ask.

Ed
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Word count is just the number of words in the article and needs to be filled in on each submission. I also include it for reference on each document I submit. There is not really a minimum or maximum unless the buyer requests a specific word count.
DavidTerrence

Post by DavidTerrence »

Thanks, Ed and Jadedragon. Both those answers were very helpful.
Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Oo those extended guidelines are good. I hadn't spotted them before. That'll give me something to read while I wait for my first article to be reviewed. (Scared to submit any more incase I get three rejections!)
Yogagirl

Post by Yogagirl »

DavidTerrence wrote:Is it just me, or are the style requirements and other guidelines for CC quite thin on the ground?

Does content have to follow a particular style, eg AP Stylebook? I've heard people refer to a word count, but is that just for requests?

I've read the few brief documents available (including those recommended on the new writers thread here http://www.constant-content.com/forum/v ... f=2&t=8351), and can't seem to find much else.

Thanks in advance, folks.
I was wondering the same thing as I'm trained in AP Style (I'm a copywriter). I need to go back and review the guidelines on here.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

If you're comfortable with AP, use that and then simply make sure to follow CC's requirements such as font, spacing, no first person, etc... I mostly follow AP. It makes it easier to stay consistent and it's widely accepted.
ProlificScribe

Post by ProlificScribe »

Hi Celeste..

I was reading some submissions from authors that caught my attention and I ran across several articles that use first person. These articles were rather old (a couple of years ago).. so is this a new guideline? I rarely write in first person anyway, but I was curious because I did notice a few first person articles.

Thanks.

-Tara
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Yes, CC used to allow first person articles but no longer does. It's been a few years since they were allowed. Every now and then, a customer will request first person voice, so you may see some periodically appearing. The main reason for the guideline is that most CC customers aren't looking for first person narratives.
ProlificScribe

Post by ProlificScribe »

Ok... makes sense.

Thanks!