just wondering ...

Have question or recommendation regarding our photography area? Post it here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Cheryl

just wondering ...

Post by Cheryl »

Do you use digital cameras? What types?

I have been using an SLR and having the pictures put on digital CD. I've had lots of my photos rejected for too much pixelization.

This sort of camera USED to bo be good equipment years ago, but now I am wondering. I did buy a zoom lens which can be used with either type camera, both the old fastioned SLR and the digital.

Thanks.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I use a Sony digital camera. Mine is 5 megapixels I believe. Not the top of the line but I haven't had a pixelation problem on CC.

I don't know for sure but I imagine when you go with a service, you can't be sure of the quality. Some may scan the photo into a low-res image which may be fine for some purposes but not for CC's.

Actually, I remember my using a service for converting her film of vacation photos to digital -- and all of the images came out really pixelated. She switched to another service and they pictures came out much better so I imagine quality varies....
WTPayne

A suggestion

Post by WTPayne »

Don't use standard film, use slide film. Slide film has a much higher saturation, and a service can convert them into high definition digital images.

Getting slides developed is expensive these days, with the rapid digital revolution, but if you want to continue using a film SLR, this should take care of the pixellation problem.

Also, what Celeste said is true. Don't use that big-box-store-that-shall-remain-nameless for developing, the equipment is the low end and meant for family snapshots and NOT professional-grade work.

Hope that helps.
Cheryl

thank you

Post by Cheryl »

Thank you for your input. I will keep these tips in mind for future improvements.

In the short term, I did a test submission of a photo at 96 dpi (1800 x 1215 pixels), just like it came from the shop, and it was approved. I am hopeful more can be approved if I DO NOT bump up the dpi in Adobe Photoshop, as I had been doing...

Thought I would let you know if case others are in a similar situation!

Cheryl
Sandra Lynn Petersen

Post by Sandra Lynn Petersen »

I use a Kodak Easy Share V530 as far as a digital camera. I do some tweaking with the EasyShare program, then run each image through Neat Image, software I purchased that helps to remove background noise. My digital camera is 5.0 megapixels. I also submit photos to BigStockPhoto and have a 44% approval rating on that site.

I'm not about to completely give up using my SLR Canon AE-1, though. I think for some photos the digital that I have just doesn't make it. I have a zoom lens for the Canon to take some nature shots.