Rejections for manual focus on foreground or background?

Have question or recommendation regarding our photography area? Post it here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

ston_bran

Rejections for manual focus on foreground or background?

Post by ston_bran »

I have had a few photos rejected for "poor quality" or being "too blurry" because a portion of the image was out of focus...on purpose. I know it can not be an issue of resolution...many of these images are set at around 2000 x 2000.

So here is my question...are photography "tricks" like focusing on a single item in the foreground or background and leaving all items that are not part of the subject matter out-of-focus, inappropriate for stock photos or have no editorial value in this context? If this is the case, could this be "spelled out," so to speak, in the photography guidelines?

Should ALL parts of all photos submitted be in perfect focus for stock photos? I am a freelance writer and the photography is more that of a passionate amateur! I feel bad submitting so many pics this last week that I thought were good that are having to be rejected and creating extra work for CC!

Thanks for your help!
-Brandy S.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Even the pat that was being focused on was not clear enough for our standards. Please concentrate on submitting high-quality photos. You have submitted many photos that would not be useable for a buyer due to their quality. Remember that a customer can't see the photo at its full size until they have downloaded it - if it is not of the quality they expect, they will rescind the purchase - no one wants that. Photos must be very clear at full size. Maybe you could try using a camera with more megapixels?

Ed
ston_bran

Thank you

Post by ston_bran »

Thank you for responding so quickly. I try to open and check them at 100 percent size before sending them in, but there were some I know I must have not done that for (sorry...was doing photo-editing at 3 AM...) because when I went back to inspect them and figure out why there were rejected, I could clearly see why.

I appreciate your patience and answering all my questions. I promise there will be much less hand-holding soon. :-)

Thanks,
Brandy S.
ston_bran

Someone's been playing with my camera...grrr

Post by ston_bran »

Well, I went to check what resolution my current camera is set on. It has 10.7x optical zoom on it. Apparently my S.O. must have borrowed the camera recently, because it was no longer set on the highest resolution, where I leave it. Grrr.... So, that is corrected. I think most of the photos that were rejected were from my previous two digital cameras or digital files I already had. They were taken with equipment that is inferior to what I am using now. So hopefully from now on I will be sending you usable and appropriate submissions.

Thanks again!

-Brandy S.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Thanks for the communication, Brandy.