Additional image formats?

Have question or recommendation regarding our photography area? Post it here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

cvianna1

Additional image formats?

Post by cvianna1 »

I noticed in the FAQs that vector files are the only ones mentioned. These are great for clip art due to their easy scaleability, but it also limits the amount of detail and color resolution you can have. I creat custom buttons, banner backgrounds, dividers and abstracts normally using .jpg, gif, tiff formats.

Will CC be accepting illustrations in these formats?

Will there be an option to submit both hi res and lo res files so that the buyer can choose the most suitable for their needs?

Thanks Candace
Sonia

Re: Additional image formats?

Post by Sonia »

Hi!

I don't know the answer to your question, but I just had my first illustration rejected and I think it was because I sent it in a jpg file. I don't know what a vector file is, and I don't know anything about the EPS files CC accepts. I'm trying to get someone to explain to me what this formats are and how I should go about submitting my illustrations in these formats.

Sorry I couldn't really answer your question.

Sonia
edoran

Post by edoran »

hey sonia,

i know your post is from a while ago, but i had a professor explain this to me recently so i'd thought i'd pass along the info :)

file formats like jpegs use pixels to tell the computer where the information goes. that's why when you zoom in very close to the image, it's very... pixelated. these file formats are what a lot of imaging software makes, but they really aren't good if you need to blow up the image and make it really big. say you design a logo for a company and they want to put it on a billboard. if you used a jpeg, there's no way they could print that image big enough, without it looking yucky. vector images don't use pixels at all - they use coordinates. the computer is told to draw a line between x, y, and z, then fill with color 1... or whatever the case may be. that way, the image can be made as big or as small as you need, and it will still look exactly the same. a 2" logo could be blown up to 12' and it would still look clear and crisp.

hooray for vector programs! also, you can convert vector images to jpegs, but the reverse isn't so pretty... or so says my professor :)
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Thank you for your reply. Now, how do I go about putting my illustrations in a vector file? I have no clue as to how to do this.
Any suggestions? I'm not that good at technical stuff, so, please try to explain the process as simply as you can.

Thanks for all your help!

Sonia