I JUST SOLD A $160-ARTICLE :D

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

light87

I JUST SOLD A $160-ARTICLE :D

Post by light87 »

I'm so happy :D, someone actually bought my 1420-word article for $160. It was like a completely random thing! I mean it was accepted in May, then I gave up on it since it didn't seem to be selling... then randomly last night, BAM!
HiredGun

Re: I JUST SOLD A $160-ARTICLE :D

Post by HiredGun »

Congratulations on the sale! Wonderful news and very motivating too, right? :D

There is definitely a market for longer, meatier content, especially on evergreen topics.
Even blogging and podcasting masters recommend it:
http://www.problogger.net/archives/2015 ... en-content
light87

Post by light87 »

HiredGun wrote:Congratulations on the sale! Wonderful news and very motivating too, right? :D

There is definitely a market for longer, meatier content, especially on evergreen topics.
Even blogging and podcasting masters recommend it:
http://www.problogger.net/archives/2015 ... en-content
I read the blog! It sounds interesting. I didn't realize the longer articles get more shares and views.

I've been writing 1k-word articles mostly since I became active on CC. None of them sold until this one. So just this week I decided to take the "Sell More Articles" thread's advice and write $30 articles. I'm not too happy about 300-word articles because I feel bad about leaving out so much info. You can't really go in-depth so you can only mention things in passing and then end the blog. It just feels too low quality, but I'd rather write them so that I can sell at least 10 articles a week rather than /hope/ that one of my 1k-word articles sell ever lol.

I wish I could blog on my own website, but I just can't seem to teach myself how to code :(. I've been trying to learn off and on... In the 2000s, when websites were just HTML, I started getting the hang of it, I think... and when I tried to pick up where I left off, now we have CSS, which is already pretty much like real coding C/C+/C++. I just decided to give up.

Would be cool to have my own website though! I'm sure my articles would be bringing in more income there :D. I mean, our clients buy our articles for money, they wouldn't be doing that unless they're making at least 2x what they're buying for.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Grats 2 u :)

I've been wordy lately and I'm trying to cut back. lol I wrote (I think) 3 long 1200ish articles and have them up for $155 (so I get $100). 2 have sold.

The bigger, more expensive articles seem to take longer to sell but there are people looking for them. Anyone who wants money fast should price around $50. I think they sell faster but the long ones with more detail are still marketable.

I regularly sell 500-1000 word articles on Elance for $55-$125. I determine price on expertise. There are definitely a lot of people who want something more detailed and from an expert POV. As Google keeps dishing out manual penalties for crappy filler, writers with expertise can offer something that will outlast.

BTW, HiredGun, I liked your "wantreprenuer" article.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Lysis wrote:
BTW, HiredGun, I liked your "wantreprenuer" article.
Thanks, Lysis. Thought it might be a little too cheeky, but it sold within a week. Guess there's a market for 'tell it like it is' content. Might have to start calling b.s. on popular trends more often. :lol: Thanks again!

Now you've both inspired me to try adding a few longer pieces to my inventory.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I write a lot of content that goes against the SEO common school of thought. People seem to like them, so I say continue with cheeky. lol
light87

Post by light87 »

Lysis wrote:I write a lot of content that goes against the SEO common school of thought. People seem to like them, so I say continue with cheeky. lol
Hey Lysis, congrats on selling that $150 app advice article! Long articles ftw :D. I guess HiredGun and you are on a roll now haha.

I'm gonna stick to writing short articles just to see how they sell. Then I'll probably switch back to long articles.
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

Great job, light87! Very happy for you!! :D

Abba
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

light87 wrote:
Lysis wrote:I write a lot of content that goes against the SEO common school of thought. People seem to like them, so I say continue with cheeky. lol
Hey Lysis, congrats on selling that $150 app advice article! Long articles ftw :D. I guess HiredGun and you are on a roll now haha.

I'm gonna stick to writing short articles just to see how they sell. Then I'll probably switch back to long articles.
Ty! Yeah, that was 3/3 I think of my longer articles. I just put another up there.

I'm trying to write 500 word articles, but when it's something I'm into and know well I start just writing and writing and writing and 'm at 1000 words before I know it. I have several customers looking for about 1000 words, so I guess it's the thing now.
HiredGun

Post by HiredGun »

Definitely convinced on the potential of longer articles now. Posted a slightly longer piece and it sold in 11 minutes! If you've contemplated posting longer pieces to CC but haven't done so yet, GO.FOR.IT!! :D
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Yeah, a lot of people are asking for 800-1200 word articles in other places, so it seems like a trend.
light87

Post by light87 »

Sad days :( I've started following the "sell more articles guide" and have been writing like 250-word articles and putting them up for like $30.

I don't have the strength to write a long one again lol. I kinda got used to these $30 ones.

I have like 30 articles up for review. I've been trying to write 6 a day. It's kind of grueling -_- but rent is due sooooooooooooo
PaulMaplesden

Post by PaulMaplesden »

light87 wrote:Sad days :( I've started following the "sell more articles guide" and have been writing like 250-word articles and putting them up for like $30.

I don't have the strength to write a long one again lol. I kinda got used to these $30 ones.

I have like 30 articles up for review. I've been trying to write 6 a day. It's kind of grueling -_- but rent is due sooooooooooooo
Let us know how you do with the cheaper articles; I'm quite interested.