Make Sure Your Antivirus Program is Up To Date

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

BarryDavidson

Make Sure Your Antivirus Program is Up To Date

Post by BarryDavidson »

Hi everyone...

In the last few weeks I have been noticing a growing number of websites where the ads have embedded malware. I've even noticed them on sites such as Yahoo, JC Penny, and quite a few others. I've had to "fix" at least ten computers in the last week. The users weren't downloading anything.

I first noticed them because my antivirus program would pop up telling me that it had blocked something on the sites in question. Then I noticed that people on other forums I'm a member of were experiencing the same thing. Several ad placement companies have mentioned that they were blocking ads with the malware attached.

One of the attacks puts DeltaSearch on your system. Anyone familiar with this so-called search engine knows that it installs itself in at least seven or eight different places under various names. It'll take over your browser, and sometimes not allow you to reach the internet at all. Restoring your system to a previous date rarely works.

Be sure your anitvirus software is up to date. Nortons and McAffee has been having trouble catching it. Avast has been doing better. Kaspersky is boing better than the others so far. I'm sure an update for all of em is coming soon, but make sure you're up to date. People who have reported this aren't using any particular browser. I've seen it reported by people who use Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Opera.
SJHillman

Re: Make Sure Your Antivirus Program is Up To Date

Post by SJHillman »

We've had a number of outbreaks at work in the last week or two, as well as a huge surge of spam gobbing up our filter. Symantec is catching some of it, but I've been removing most of it manually. Our corporate domain was blacklisted twice as a result of spam-sending trojans.

We have a small number of PCs separate from the domain that use MS Security Essentials (free from Microsoft) - none of them have gotten hit, so MSSE may be effective against it.
BarryDavidson

Re: Make Sure Your Antivirus Program is Up To Date

Post by BarryDavidson »

Try Avast. Even my freeware version is catching it.