Accused of plagiarism for my own work

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

BWebb

Accused of plagiarism for my own work

Post by BWebb »

I just had an article rejected for plagiarism that was previously languishing in my portfolio. It was a couple of years old, and I thought I could spruce it up. So I removed it, altered the title, made a few improvements, and submitted it for review.
As you can imagine, I was shocked to discover a rejection for plagiarism as it’s my own work and was on Constant Content about fifteen mins or so earlier.
How can this be? I can only imagine someone took it from my portfolio, and, upon resubmitting, I was falsely accused of being the article-snatcher! A double smack on the nose. A stolen article and dent in my reputation. Time for another cup of coffee…
The title is “"4 Simple Ways to Improve Life Today."
From this moment on, unless a better way is suggested, I won’t dream of improving old work or updating it in case this happens again. The annoying thing is, I usually run my old articles through Copyscape before I improve them and resubmit, just in case they’ve been pinched. I must have forgotten this time.
WebInk

Re: Accused of plagiarism for my own work

Post by WebInk »

Don't worry, I'm sure that's happened to most long-term writers here. It happened to me when I had my articles set to display 100% in the long preview. If you have a website, publish your article there and file a DMCA with Google and Bing. Just remember to say that you originally published the article on Constant-Content.com before transferring it to your website. You can then toss up some AdSense ads and make a little money from your hard work.
BWebb

Re: Accused of plagiarism for my own work

Post by BWebb »

Thanks for the reply. What a good idea!