Changes in Editing?

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

J. A. Young

Changes in Editing?

Post by J. A. Young »

Hi, this isn't a complaint at all, but I thought it would be helpful to discuss this. I just resubmitted an article that was rejected. There were no grammatical issues. The editor simply thought various lines were wordy and could be tightened up. The edits were great. No complaint. My issue was that this article had already been approved a couple weeks ago but was in waiting status. The buyer never came through so I deleted and resubmitted and, in truth, these were stylistic edits so that's still a subjective area. I'm guessing this was a completely different editor that got hold of it. I just wonder if CC is changing the nature of their edits to include stylistic points rather than more grammatical concerns. If the editors could chime in, that'd be great. I'd love to hear how each approaches the process and what we writers can expect going forward if the editing is going to verge further into stylistic areas.
constant-content
Site Admin

Re: Changes in Editing?

Post by constant-content »

Hi J.A. Young. Please send us an email about the article you are referring to and we will discuss the issue with the editors. :)
xanthipp

Post by xanthipp »

I too am noticing a change in rejections. For a while, we were shown what the issues were, but my last two were rejected, purged from the system, and I was told not to resubmit them. I wasn't sure if this meant just go away, or rewrite them more radically.
For example, there was one where a tour guide was asking for 750 words on his private tours. Upon looking at his page on the subject, which was about 750 words, I decided he wanted the page's content lightly rewritten and proofread, so I did. On the first pass there were some errors in his itinerary lists that I didn't clean up, but without the editor's suggestions, or a Grammarly list, I'm at a loss what the issue is on the second pass. Unless they decided I had plagiarized from the customer's website, without comprehending that it was a rewrite, but they would have said something.
The second article was supposed to be 150 words, and other articles I encountered in researching the topic were done bulleted list style, so I did it that way, as it helped me to keep it shorter and more readable without seeming as choppy. This was given as the reason for rejection, so I rewrote the content as an article, but it ended up being a tad longer than requested by the time I put in a beginning, middle, end, elements the customer specifically asked for, and transitions. This seemed like not what the customer was asking for, but it doesn't pay to argue with the editor.
If this is the new rejection style, I don't like it. Although I understand only teachers have time to go back and for with an incompetent writer, I don't think anybody is served by a lack of clear communication. I have 70 articles sold with CC, and I like writing about things I have to research, but I was discouraged enough to take the time to write this.
KinsleyRoyale

Post by KinsleyRoyale »

Can't speak to your situation but I hate rejections based on stylistic opinion or the editor's idea they could have done a better job. That's not what I know CC to be and I've sold 400+ articles in the past.