What the actual heck?!

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

light87

What the actual heck?!

Post by light87 »

I just submitted this article and got it purged from the system in like 3 minutes. The reasons were:
"This article does not offer enough information to be useful to the reader. It is also still describing the act of eating food, as "taking" it, which should only be reserved for medicine."

This is the second time I've used "taking" rather than "eating" for food, so I accept that's my mistake. BUT WTF with "not offer enough info?!?!" Wow the frustration... GUYS DO YOU THINK THIS IS INFORMATIVE AND USEFUL?! HOW MANY OF YOU KNEW THAT WALNUTS HAD MELATONIN AND INCREASED TRYPTOPHAN AND SEROTONIN LEVELS. OR THAT LETTUCE HAS LACTUCARIUM?! OR ANY OF THE OTHER STUFF HERE. WTF!
Last edited by light87 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lysis

Re: What the actual heck?!

Post by Lysis »

First, this article has now been scraped by 100 bots and is sitting everywhere on the internet. :P So, it's not original anymore.

Second, when you do lists like this, you got to beef up the content. For each bullet point, do at least 100 words or something like that. So, if you have 5 points, you'll have about 500 words.

I think the ed is basically saying "too little content" here.
light87

Post by light87 »

Nope! Because cc forums are part of the deep web. You can't really access them without registering.

Also it doesn't freaking matter since it got purged and you can't resubmit. It's all good though, I'll sell it for $8.

I could've used bullet points but those first few and the last one are too long for bullets

you have no idea how ragey I was to see the "not useful " purging
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Are you sure about that? :) Here is a cached version of the forum from Sept 30th. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Looks like this subforum was cached on the 29th.

Unless something is noindexed, it's a pretty good guarantee that Google will find it.

Anyway, I understand being upset. Just trying to put some perspective on it. The eds like to see some meat in an article if you go list style.
evaku

Post by evaku »

When you're doing list articles like that you really have to bulk up the content under each point. In my experience you don't have to go as high as a hundred words each, but at least around 40 is a must. 60 - 90 words under each heading is my usual length. I've gotten away with around 25 words a topic before only because a client wanted several tips in a limited total word count, so that was the only way to do it. Don't think it would have been accepted into the catalog that way. That's just how it is here! And I understand.

edit -

and I don't mean "bulk up" as in add fluff, but as in add even MORE useful information. Sure, you stated facts, but you need to give more than that for it to be an interesting and engaging read. Anyone can google about foods that increase melatonin and seratonin. Explain how these foods do it. Offer suggestions for HOW people should eat these foods. Should they eat a can of tuna? Make a tuna sandwich? Maybe cherry juice is good for helping you sleep but should you perhaps steer clear of it if you're trying to watch your sugar intake? In your introduction you should explain more about why melatonin and seratonin are even important and what they actually do in your brain. You introduced these two neurotransmitters but waited until the first point to explain that they regulate your sleep-wake cycle. Try to think about offering as much as you can to the reader, while of course staying on point and not absolutely overwhelming them with info, and you'll strike on the kind of content they are looking for!
light87

Post by light87 »

evaku wrote:When you're doing list articles like that you really have to bulk up the content under each point. In my experience you don't have to go as high as a hundred words each, but at least around 40 is a must. 60 - 90 words under each heading is my usual length. I've gotten away with around 25 words a topic before only because a client wanted several tips in a limited total word count, so that was the only way to do it. Don't think it would have been accepted into the catalog that way. That's just how it is here! And I understand.

edit -

and I don't mean "bulk up" as in add fluff, but as in add even MORE useful information. Sure, you stated facts, but you need to give more than that for it to be an interesting and engaging read. Anyone can google about foods that increase melatonin and seratonin. Explain how these foods do it. Offer suggestions for HOW people should eat these foods. Should they eat a can of tuna? Make a tuna sandwich? Maybe cherry juice is good for helping you sleep but should you perhaps steer clear of it if you're trying to watch your sugar intake? In your introduction you should explain more about why melatonin and seratonin are even important and what they actually do in your brain. You introduced these two neurotransmitters but waited until the first point to explain that they regulate your sleep-wake cycle. Try to think about offering as much as you can to the reader, while of course staying on point and not absolutely overwhelming them with info, and you'll strike on the kind of content they are looking for!
Wow these are really helpful suggestions evaku. Thanks a lot... You totally gave me so many innovative ideas.

Idk, I think i'll stick to bullet points. I mean if I did all that, the article would be over 300 words, and then no one would buy it because it would cost more than $30...

Thanks so much for your advice though, it makes so much sense and i'll keep that in mind!