Rejected because wrong format for document name

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

ScriptMaster

Rejected because wrong format for document name

Post by ScriptMaster »

Hi folks,

I've just submitted my very first 2 articles to writer's pool requests, and got the following rejection message for both.

"Another aspect of formatting we would like to focus on is the file name when saving your completed work--- Please use the following format: ProvidedSourceName_MonthYear_FirstFourWordsOfArticleTitle.doc" Thanks! "

I simply do not understand this message. Firstly, I pasted my article into the edit box, rather than upload a document. There is nowhere for me to specify a document name when I do this. When I went back in to edit the rejected document, the system had automatically generated a document name from the article with an RTF extension. Secondly, what do they mean by "ProvidedSourceName"
Lysis

Re: Rejected because wrong format for document name

Post by Lysis »

Yeah, I'm in that writer pool too and thought "meh." She wants a link to a reference if I remember correctly. Read the directions in the doc that's included with the project. There's a few requests and one is the file name.

Was it the customer who rejected? I think that's the customer rejecting your work. I think you can manually attach a file if I'm not mistaken. The option is at the bottom of the page.

If you can't manually attach a file, then I would give the document the title with the format specified. I get the emails for these articles, so I know other people have submitted content. Maybe someone who is writing for this project can add more advice.
ScriptMaster

Post by ScriptMaster »

Thanks for the reply, Lysis.

To me, the rejections seem to be standard editorial rejections, but what you say makes sense (that it may be the customer) in light of the message.

I have resubmitted a doc, with my guess as to what is meant by "ProvidedSourceName," so I'll see how that goes.

I cannot see any doc included with the project. Where should I look for that?

One other thing - when I first tried to submit one of the articles with the title given by the requester, I got an error message stating that there was already an article with that title. I changed the title to get past this. When naming the document, should FirstFourWordsOfArticleTitle be my title or the client's title?

I just wish CC would communicate better with writers. I am pleased to have, at last, been included in a writer pool. I just wish I'd received some kind of "welcome to writer pool" message from CC, and a link to help options explaining how they work. Considering the hefty commission CC takes, its writer support is frankly appalling.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

If it's the same pool that I'm thinking of, the customer sent out an email to all writers in the pool before it started. Maybe the customer has multiple projects going on. It's for the typical SEO content for $25? If you go to My Projects and select the project name from the drop-down on that screen, you'll see the shared doc. That is, of course, if I'm thinking of the right pool. I seem to remember the file format request in the doc.

I believe it says the customer declined if it's a customer. I've had a couple customers decline but I can't remember the way the email is written. I would be surprised if an editor rejected due to file format. Usually, they just edit. If it's the customer, I would email CC or wait for someone here to say something about how they were able to format files. I don't think you can.
ScriptMaster

Post by ScriptMaster »

Thanks again, Lysis.

I found the project document by following your advice, and discovered that the rejection message is taken striaght from it. That document does not explain what is meant by "ProvidedSourceName" so it's all a bit strange.

When I go into Edit one of these articles now, it shows me 0 of 1 documents submitted, and in the Requests dropdown, it shows that article as Closed. Does this mean my time has been wasted?
JasmineStone

Post by JasmineStone »

If you look at the request details there should be a few extra details underneath...one of these says 'Source name'. E.g. on one of the requests I'm doing for this client the source name is Morris Furniture - I'm assuming that's the ProvidedSourceName they're asking for. I could be wrong though, so please let us know if CC clarify things!
ScriptMaster

Post by ScriptMaster »

Thanks Jasmine.

As luck would have it, the article I chose did not have any source details. When I looked at some others in the project, I saw the kind of details you are talking about and could make some sense out of their formatting requirements. I modified the document titles to their format spec, resubmitted and now have been rejected with the message

==== Editorial Information for Your Article: ====

The entire submission must be titled in that format. It's how we get the title for the generated file.

==== End Editorial Information for Your Article ====

I'm afraid I do not understand this message. Have you managed to successfully submit something to the project? If so, I would be grateful if you could post an example of a title you used.
JasmineStone

Post by JasmineStone »

Ahh, oh dear, then I've done it wrong too! I just attached the file to my submission and put the article title in the title field. Looks like I'll have to go back and change it. CC need better communication on these things.
ScriptMaster

Post by ScriptMaster »

This is becoming ridiculous. The latest rejection message:

==== Editorial Information for Your Article: ====

Please do not upload a file. The name of the file is generated from the title as it is written in the title field of the submission form.

==== End Editorial Information for Your Article ====

This was not mentioned anywhere in the spec. In fact, this message is at odds with the text in the first rejection message (which is taken directly from the spec) "... the file name when saving your completed work--- Please use the following format"

There is no mechanism by which I can delete the file(s) previously attached. The text of the article is contained in full in Document Content. All the client has to do is ignore the attached document.

Incidentally, CC's submission system automatically generates an rtf document from text entered into Document Content, so where is the solution here?
JasmineStone

Post by JasmineStone »

I woke up to exactly the same rejection message. I don't understand why they couldn't just delete the attached file instead of kicking it back...I've had to take twenty minutes out of my day to fire up the laptop and hunt down an internet connection just to delete a file that I only added because the instructions were unclear! Rant over.
runr48

Post by runr48 »

I got the same rejection. It seems the client wants the correctly formatted title (it's in the instructions) in the title box when we submit the articles. I assume this because I got another rejection, but this time the rejection was for wordiness of one of the paragraphs. A quick fix, but now the article is marked "resubmitted," but it's been sitting there since last Friday. I've sent a message to CC without a response yet, but it's only been 24 hours.