Spirituality article rejected

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

coolwriter

Spirituality article rejected

Post by coolwriter »

My article "7 Lessons from Buddhism" was rejected for the reason, "This article does not tell the reader how to do the suggested actions. This is not the type of content we are looking for."

The article included sub-headings like "Think Right", "Forgive and Forget", "Use Your Logic" etc. I am not sure how I can tell the reader to do these suggested actions, as they are quite obvious.

Rejection for this reason is affecting my sales in the self-improvement category. Hope the editor in question realizes there is a good market for these type of articles which is why I was motivated to write them.
Lysis

Re: Spirituality article rejected

Post by Lysis »

Color me stumped. Hard to tell without the content. Your subheadings and title make sense to me.
evaku

Post by evaku »

That seems very strange and has me a little worried because spirituality is a huge category for me, and I plan to submit many of those types of articles very soon. Like Lysis said, it's hard to tell without the content but your title and subheadings sound like something I would write!!

Your title doesn't indicate that your article would be a "how-to" article, so I don't know why the editor was looking for it to be.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Thinking about it, I've gotten some revisions where the editor doesn't think a subsection belongs.

One thing you have to do with subheadings is format them similarly. So let's say you have "Think Right," "Forgive and Forget" and then "How to Use Common Sense," the editor might reject.
coolwriter

Post by coolwriter »

I've had previous rejections and purges for self-improvement articles which provided tips to overcome anger, become popular, develop leadership qualities etc. The editor thinks these types of articles are not useful, but most of my sales have come from similar articles.

So, I'm currently churning out health and nutrition articles with plenty of facts and research findings which are getting accepted but not selling quickly.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Even though you provide tips, there is at least one editor who prefers that you include a concrete example on how to follow the tip. If you can provide that kind of information, you might be able to get the articles approved. Happy Writing!~ WG
coolwriter

Post by coolwriter »

Thanks for your suggestion Word Gypsy. I'll try to implement it in future articles.