I've made an editor really mad :(

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

LauraGinn

I've made an editor really mad :(

Post by LauraGinn »

I've had about 20 articles in a queue on here for over a week, and they've finally started being checked this morning.

I woke up to a pretty snooty rejection for wordiness, and reading through the comments, the editor is being really sarcastic with me. Considering how much money I've made for this website, I'm finding it pretty disrespectful.

"As has been repeatedly requested..."
"Really? More like a decade"
"Our standards have already been made clear many times in the past"

Has anyone else had any issues? Is an editor having a bad day, or am I on the verge of being banned :/

I have 19 more articles pending review... this day is not looking good, if I've got an editor with issues on my back.
ReneeF

Re: I've made an editor really mad :(

Post by ReneeF »

LauraGinn wrote:I've had about 20 articles in a queue on here for over a week, and they've finally started being checked this morning.

I woke up to a pretty snooty rejection for wordiness, and reading through the comments, the editor is being really sarcastic with me. Considering how much money I've made for this website, I'm finding it pretty disrespectful.

"As has been repeatedly requested..."
"Really? More like a decade"
"Our standards have already been made clear many times in the past"

Has anyone else had any issues? Is an editor having a bad day, or am I on the verge of being banned :/

I have 19 more articles pending review... this day is not looking good, if I've got an editor with issues on my back.
No, I seem to get this editor (or attitude from editor) on occasion. Especially when things seem backed up. Even threats of dismissal. Nasty notes about leaving a note in the summary section on a private request. And worse.

I think this person needs a vacation
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

ooph, I have 14 in the queue. Poop. lol

I get some weird editing times. Sometimes I get reviewed at 3-4am my time, which is midnight, 1am Vancouver time. Maybe chalk it up to an editor having a bad day or up really late and just tired.

Don't let it get to ya, chica. I've been beat up too and it's a day ruiner. Go eat some pizza like I do and feel better. :D Sometimes, I have to take a break. I know how you feel.

When I was editing at the beginning of the year, sometimes certain writers would get to me because they'd make the same mistakes and I'd just get sick of it. I'd fire off my bitchy email and walk away only to kinda feel bad about it later. You should see my emails to the ones I found plagiarizing and then argued that it passed copyscape so it's not plagiarism. :D Those I don't feel bad about.

Try to let it roll off your shoulders. It's not the first time it happened and it won't be the last, so just roll with the punches and move on. I don't think you'll get kicked.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

we should figure out how to send them a hot cup of coffee, maybe thats all they need to perk them selves back up.
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

Pizza sounds like a plan!

The rejection came through at around 9am this morning, so that would be really late US time. They only looked at the one article, had a bit of a rant, gave up suggesting edits half way through, and the rest are still waiting for approval. I edited it as much as I thought was necessary and resubmitted. Hope I get another editor for my other articles. It's putting me off submitting so many though with the long wait times, especially when the editors are acting all scary.

I'd so be up for sending hot chocolate donations, if it meant they were a bit nicer.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

LauraGinn wrote:Pizza sounds like a plan!

The rejection came through at around 9am this morning, so that would be really late US time. They only looked at the one article, had a bit of a rant, gave up suggesting edits half way through, and the rest are still waiting for approval. I edited it as much as I thought was necessary and resubmitted. Hope I get another editor for my other articles. It's putting me off submitting so many though with the long wait times, especially when the editors are acting all scary.

I'd so be up for sending hot chocolate donations, if it meant they were a bit nicer.

Yes, that is my experience too. Its hard for me to want to submit when suddenly the editors seem like they are putting up with a lot of really new and crappy writers and then edit my work with a nasty attitude.

We all make mistakes with everything and obviously cannot catch every mistake on our own, so being nice and pointing out we missed something nicely could go a long way to us veterans. I wish there was a way they could have a separate queing system for seasoned CC writers and newbies.
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

ReneeF wrote:
LauraGinn wrote:Pizza sounds like a plan!

Yes, that is my experience too. Its hard for me to want to submit when suddenly the editors seem like they are putting up with a lot of really new and crappy writers and then edit my work with a nasty attitude.

We all make mistakes with everything and obviously cannot catch every mistake on our own, so being nice and pointing out we missed something nicely could go a long way to us veterans. I wish there was a way they could have a separate queing system for seasoned CC writers and newbies.
That would be an ideal solution really wouldn't it? Say writers with over 100 approved articles, or 100 sales get put in a quicker editing queue. It would not only lower our (and hopefully the editor's) stress, but it'd probably help CC too, especially as I've seen quite a few customer searches for specific writers. If new work is hanging around in a queue for a long time, customers could go elsewhere, and writers could too. Although I haven't seen any sites as good for writers as CC (yet), the waits and the attitude are starting to get me down. I'm probably not the only one.

To the pizza oven!
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

Definitely not the only one. a week ot get an article, if I were a client i'd leave.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I used to have this one writer who was ESL, but she was so so nice. She would drive me crazy with the mistakes, but she always came back to me with an I'm sorry and would clean it up well. Always made me so angry that she was nice and I couldn't get more angry! lol It's so easy when the writer is a jackass back to me, but when they stay professional, nice and just do what I ask, it's hard being hard on them.

I think I agree with letting her/him cool off. Do your best and edit it. Keep it professional, but I'm sure you know that. I think a lot of writers try to argue, and it's not worth it.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

Lysis wrote:I used to have this one writer who was ESL, but she was so so nice. She would drive me crazy with the mistakes, but she always came back to me with an I'm sorry and would clean it up well. Always made me so angry that she was nice and I couldn't get more angry! lol It's so easy when the writer is a jackass back to me, but when they stay professional, nice and just do what I ask, it's hard being hard on them.

I think I agree with letting her/him cool off. Do your best and edit it. Keep it professional, but I'm sure you know that. I think a lot of writers try to argue, and it's not worth it.

Definitely not worth it to argue, placate the editors whenever possible, apologize until it makes you sick, and make promised you intend to keep. I keep an editors notes journal, it really helps. I review it almost daily, especially when editing articles. (now back to this ridiculous 6,000 word article and all its problems. )
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

I really feel for you! I felt TERRIBLE after getting three rejections in a week after I had had no rejections for a really long time. It's crazy how it can ruin your day and make you feel bad, but we all make mistakes and we just have to push on and keep writing. I think a break of a few days can help if you haven't got deadlines to meet.

I even had a buyer point out a statement that wasn't right this week, and she asked me not to use sources other than those she had given me. The statement had come directly from one of her sources though. So we're not always to blame!

Take care and do something really nice for yourself.

Abba
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

I quoted a doctor word for word from a medical journal she supposedly written. She threatened me with lawsuit for misrepresentation and misinformation. (and YES I had the journals permission to quote her and had given proper attribution for he 2-sentence quote" I was writing an article to promote the journal and hired by someone on the journals editing team. LOL.

Seems that a lot of people can be wrong. and even forget what they personally write. *snicker*

Hang in there, go watch a move, play an MMO, read a book take a walk, do something fun and come back to editing when you are refreshed.

There is an editor here though that will out right delete my articles if I dont get around to editing them within 12-24 hours of their reject, kinda crazy if you ask me.

:wink:
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

I didn't argue with her, and I left a note saying I was sorry that I made her so mad. It's still pending review, so don't know where I stand at the moment but we'll see.

I have a lot of articles available for sale, so hopefully they won't want to waste the time they spent reading them by banning me.

Writers get a lot of grief these days - do people not realise it tarnishes our creativity ;)
dbvirago

Post by dbvirago »

LauraGinn, thanks for pointing me over here. I actually wouldn't have posted that comment in that forum, but it started as a question since I have articles over a week old that haven't been reviewed but got one reviewed in less than an hour; reviewed and slammed.

That reviewer hit two of mine, so I'm glad the others are still in review. I have gone back several times to edit, but can't quite get over the rejection for using, "there are" in a sentence. I have received 2 or 3 comments in the last 20 articles and then get these two with a dozen zings each. A few are commas, either needing and not needing them. I don't agree with all of them, but it's an easy fix. But there are times when there are is the correct phrase. When I first saw the rejection, I though I had done a bad job of proofing and used there are instead of there is, but no; just being my wordy self.

Fortunately, a lot of my articles right now are private requests so there are hope.
LauraGinn

Post by LauraGinn »

I'd never realised that using 'there are' was a problem until I joined Constant Content. I mean, I can understand it if it's the first word in a paragraph. But if the 'there are' relates to something in the previous sentence, I would think most readers would understand what is being referenced.

I've had 3 accepted today, but the one I edited and resubmitted is still in the queue. I'm not going to submit any more until I'm sure that my 'pending' articles are all okay. Lucky for me I have an exciting magazine article that needs writing, so that should keep me occupied for a few days.