Article rejected for being too long

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

UKWriter101

Article rejected for being too long

Post by UKWriter101 »

Hi all!

A couple of days ago, I wrote a 3000-word in-depth guide entitled "Online Marketing for Small Businesses". I've sold almost all of my online marketing-related articles (of which there have been hundreds), and this one would probably have sold within a week or two as well. It took a whole day to write, but after all that work, the editor rejects and purges it, along with my extensive introduction, and gives me the following reason: "We don't typically consider articles of this length," in spite of the fact that I have sold several other articles on-spec nearing that length before. I also published a 4000 word on-spec article before without incident, so it seems to me that the editor simply couldn't be bothered to read it.

I'm not sure what to do now, there's absolutely nothing else I can do with the content, and splitting it up would make it valueless and practically unsaleable. Nowhere can I find anything stating that CC doesn't accept articles of this length. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Re: Article rejected for being too long

Post by Judith »

I would rename it, wait a couple of days and resubmit, hoping a different editor would get it. I would also include a note to the editor stating you realize the article may seem a bit longer than the average, but that your long spec articles have successfully sold before.
tayalltheway

Post by tayalltheway »

I would just resubmit immediately with the note that your articles of that length have sold before.
UKWriter101

Post by UKWriter101 »

Thanks for the advice folks,

Well, I finally got it past editorial and it sold a couple of hours later. :D
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

Congratulations!!
gators18

Post by gators18 »

Did this happen to get rejected last Friday? I was getting some unusually abrupt messages on 2-3 articles for typos consisting of a single misplaced character that I just didn't catch. Usually when that happens, it's just a note to please see inline comments for minor errors.