Constant Content Ego

New writer to CC, introduce yourself here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

pmjk

Constant Content Ego

Post by pmjk »

To CC Members and Staff,

Until now I have kept silent regarding certain issues I find disturbing about Constant Content. Recently banned, after having 19 articles accepted, I now feel I am be able to voice an honest opinion without fear of alienating staff here.

Gleaning the forums for information I have found that any negative comment or criticism of CC is not tolerated. Any author expressing dissatisfaction with the way they are being treated on this site is met with contempt. I have read posts where accomplished authors with decades of experience are told to "check their ego". They are dismissed as 'hack" writers that are not competent enough to write for CC. I've read members state, those that disagree with the editors have a " nasty attitude". Some members seem to take an arrogant position that if you are not accepted by CC, your not a "real writer". Clearly there must be some reality injected here. None of you would speak to these people in this way face to face. Doesn't anyone respect age and experience anymore? Are ill manners so acceptable these days?

Constant Content is a business. This business allows authors to present their work, and an opportunity to be paid for it, nothing more. Anyone that thinks they are some outstanding literary genius because they write for CC is clearly delusional. There are some excellent writers here, for the kind of writing it is. We write for websites and blogs, that require varying degrees of technical or subject knowledge. The majority of these articles will not be remembered in history as great literary works.

As one of the authors new to this site but not new to writing I tried adapting to the style of writing CC wants, not standard, but style. Although it has been said many times on this site that CC has high standards, I disagree. According to the guidelines British or American English use is acceptable. In reality, not true. I have had many articles come back due to perceived spelling errors. I am Canadian and was taught British English in my province of Ontario. When I explained the error was not in fact an error, I was told to just change it to satisfy the whims of the editor. This was stated to me in an e-mail from staff here.

There are some major differences in grammar and sentence structure between American English and British English. Those people that have experience with with the English language, as spoken and written in different English speaking countries, can attest that what I am saying is true. This has caused some of my articles, and other writers, to be rejected with notations regarding improper use of grammar. I contend the grammar was not in question. I have had articles returned because the editor felt a certain sentence was unclear or not easily understood. I suggest some of the editors take classes in English comprehension.

I also wish to know the background of the 'editors". What is their education level? Who are they? Is English their native language? They know all about our academic backgrounds and history but we know nothing of theirs. What boggles my mind is that people here quickly come to their defence not knowing any of this pertinent information. I have read a lot of posts where members here immediately and blindly assume the editor must be correct. My question to these people is, why do you assume that? I would certainly take the word of a published author with vast experience and numerous accolades over someone I don't know, or at least give them the benefit of the doubt.

At the end of the day the editors, or owners of this website, set the rules. They can do as they wish, however don't try covering rude and arrogant behaviour as editorial judgement. The "editors" opinion is just that unless it is qualified. I am sure there are a core of writers that earn very well writing for this site. I am also sure that they are not treated the same as others. The "high standards" argument that is dragged out at any sign of an opposing viewpoint is simply nonsense. Magazines and periodicals that have published many of the authors here, that have been driven away, have high standards. Furthermore, the members that bring out the argument,"the high standards at CC allow us to set our prices accordingly", need a lesson in economics. The marketplace and client set the price. A client will pay a price that they deem fair for what they want. As soon as a competing site comes along that doesn't waste the time of it's writers with inconsequential nonsense CC will suffer. In a site where editors actually edit, and writers are free to write, sales will go up for everyone and the company and authors will make money. Prices will naturally drop, slightly, but authors will be selling more than one or 2 articles a month. As for those that say, I make millions of dollars a year from CC, I say, you must have the Midas touch. Most authors here are not earning anywhere near a liveable wage.

I will now continue in my efforts to have my articles removed from this site. One writer more or less won't matter here and I am sure CC doesn't care in the least about their unprofessional behaviour or my leaving. To all the hard working authors and people not suffering from delusions of grandeur, I say farewell and best of luck to you all.

Peter
jadedragon

Re: Constant Content Ego

Post by jadedragon »

I'd say check your attitude at the door. Constant Content is free to set a high standard and yes, that standard allows writers to make more money here than on other sites.
pmjk

Re: Constant Content Ego

Post by pmjk »

@jadedragon,

As I see by your response, you have vilified some of my statements. Good day to you.

Peter