Can I use my rejected Article?

Constant Content will occasionally post paying work here for our authors.

Moderators: Ed, Constant

Sharion

Re: Can I use my rejected Article?

Post by Sharion »

Celeste,

As always, you are the wise one :-)

That second article has been like a cork in the bottle that won't come out. Good suggestion to just open a different bottle :-)

I've been writing like crazy, just not for here (and not articles). My fingers have been flying on the keyboard these past months either posting to my own blogs, or in writing my latest book which is now in the hands of a second pair of eyeballs.

I had been stuck there, as well, believing that the next book should follow the previous one. While logically that would be true, it's better to get SOMETHING out the door even if it doesn't follow your logic.

Sometimes you have to follow your motivation and throw logic out the window. By letting go of the idea that a specific book or article should be next, you can open the door to let a flood of articles, books, blog posts, or whatever out the door.

Your example of reading a book that you aren't particularly interested in is a good example. By putting the book away half-read, you open the door to ten books instead of zero. Great analogy!

The words are always there, sometimes you have to let them channel themselves in their own way.

Thank you, Celeste :-)
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

You're welcome. I'm halfway through a book that is sooooo slow and going nowhere. I think it's time to put that one away this weekend :)
alex8355

Post by alex8355 »

As far as I understand, you pass copyright only when you receive money, or there's a certain agreement. Otherwise, the article remains wholly yours.
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

Wow! As a newbie, I've learned a lot from reading all of the diverse opinions and pieces of advice. Thanks everyone for being so helpful and sharing your thoughts!

My personal conclusions/take-aways from your comments: I'll resubmit articles rejected for a specific reason at least once, assuming it doesn't take too long to fix that mistake (and look for similar ones throughout the piece). I love the advice to just drop the idea of completing part 2 of the article--or dropping a boring book--in favor of all of the other things one could be doing instead. Let it go and don't worry about it again. (I need to follow those words of wisdom more often! :D ) Also, I like the advice about price gauging: just because other people undercut the pricing guidelines doesn't mean you need to sell yourself short. Your article is, by definition, unique and is worth whatever you and your potential customers feel it's worth--a price you can change at any time, by the way. Charge what's fair and reasonable for your work, realizing that pricing too low may take money out of your pocket and those of others on the site with similar content who freelance for a living/side-business.
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

Sharion wrote: I've been writing like crazy, just not for here (and not articles). My fingers have been flying on the keyboard these past months either posting to my own blogs, or in writing my latest book which is now in the hands of a second pair of eyeballs.
Congratulations on your book and all of your writing successes, Sharion! I've started, but never finished, several books. Anyone with that dedication and fortitude is my hero. Cheers! :D
Rdube123

Post by Rdube123 »

Yes you can use after modifying your article.